plasterboarding loft space

Its a good one for lofts as you can get it through the small loft hatches but ceilings I allways use a dead man, its not easy to put up 8x4 on your own to a ceiling but manageable but you allways end up with a sore noggin at the end of the day from resting the boards on it.
Wickerman why is ole d.j an inmate? Stoday occasionally... Charlie never, too clever and pompous for his own good, though I concede he knows his stuff. d.j how do you screw!!!!!!!!!!
before you get excited I mean do you use a cordless drill or a fed screw gun or a manual single screw gun........ or a pozi screwdriver :D :D :D, was thinking of investing in a millwaukee multi screw fed jobbie to replace the one at a time srew gun I have now but they look a bit cumbersome andI like my present one which is surprisingly quick and light when you have the hang of it, but its playing up some now so may have to go.

Sponsored Links
nothing less than 12.5mm board is acceptable on a ceiling, any one who says it is, is on a diferent planet. 12.5 boards won't sag anything less will especially where conditions arn't bone dry,

legs, i'm stuck on that one!! i currently use a bosch psb 24v drill driver, which does the job and it's got plenty of torque, but i have been thinking of investing in a makita auto screwdriver which takes the collated screws. but at £190 sheets i'm in two minds. send me a link of the one that your looking at please. decisions, decisions.
dj.

-dj- said:
nothing less than 12.5mm board is acceptable on a ceiling, any one who says it is, is on a diferent planet.
We're not talking about ceiling joists but roof rafters and not following the building regulations !!!!!!

So as you say I'm on a difference planet, tell me what the 9mm plasterboards is for ?

What is it with these people, everyone entitle to their own opinion, just give us your reason and not criticize then perhaps some of us might learn.

I hope some of the screwfix forum lot don't spoil the friendly lot here.

walls, they ain't gonna sag there, are they.
dj.

Sponsored Links
I'm think you're missing the point, john59 want to board the loft on the rafters and haven't got any wall so again what is the 9mm plasterboard is for ?

masona said:
I'm think you're missing the point, john59 want to board the loft on the rafters and haven't got any wall.

i'm not missing any point. i am simply stating that ceilings should have a minimum of 12.5mm board, wheather sloping or not. then the boards won't sag.

it was you who asked where the thinner boards go, to which i replied "on walls". if you are still unsure what you are on about go back and read, but this time do it slowly, then it may sink in avoiding me repeating myself again.
dj.

-dj- said:
masona said:
I'm think you're missing the point, john59 want to board the loft on the rafters and haven't got any wall.

i'm not missing any point. i am simply stating that ceilings should have a minimum of 12.5mm board, wheather sloping or not. then the boards won't sag.

it was you who asked where the thinner boards go, to which i replied "on walls". if you are still unsure what you are on about go back and read, but this time do it slowly, then it may sink in avoiding me repeating myself again.
dj.

But that doesn't make sense to me. Surely on a wall you'd want it as thick as possible so clumsy g its like me don't put their elbow through it? Where as on a ceiling you could always add some extra studs or nogs to negate any possibilty of sagging.

i was always told that the thicker boards go on the walls and thinner on the ceiling but i am no expert on this stuff

wickerman, it used to be thinner boards everywhere, but things change.
studders, i like the way you think. personally i would always use 12.5mm everywhere. i, in this case, am just trying to give the best advice for this application ie 12.5mm board to reduce sagging. you could always do it in 9.5mm board but in a few years it won't look nice.
i'm not even following regs here, if i was you would be looking at 50mm insulation in between rafters and 50mm insulation backed plasterboard on top.
http://www.british-gypsum.com/PDF/c60_203.pdf
check the link, although gypsum make 9.5 board i can't see anywhere that they reccomend using it.
dj.

thats a good idea DJ to use thicker everywhere, i suppose the difference in cost is only a few quid for the whole job

-dj- said:
although gypsum make 9.5 board i can't see anywhere that they reccomend using it.
dj.
So what you're saying is they make the 9mm plasterboard but no good for anything as you said made by british gypsum who make it in the first place :confused: As you said I'm on a difference planet perhaps you can teach me something I don't know.
check the link, although gypsum make 9.5 board i can't see anywhere that they reccomend using it.
:confused:

right, you could use 9.5mm board if there were enough noggins in between the rafters. rafters, as a rule, don't don't have noggins in them. it wouldn't be cost or time effective to put that many noggins in. so i purposely steered away from using 9.5mm boards.
even if there was enough noggins i would still use 12.5 board as it makes a better job with a more reduced risk of sagging.
so once again you would be better using 12.5mm board for this application.

dj.

9.5mm p/board is primarily used as a laminate (dot n dab) over blockwork. plank and other layers of wallboard etc.
There are alternatives to using p/board though all more exspensive.
The important thing is to provide a good vapour check on the warm side of the insulation (not so easy at junctions with the floor/ceiling joists and other intersections)

Scandia-Hus, a Swedish timber frame company selling in the UK specify 15mm plasterboard on both ceilings and walls.

They are at the quality end of the market, which suggests that using 9.5mm is for jerry builders only.

I always thought the 9.5mm is for the ceiling providing the ceiling joists is no more than 400mm centre and if it is then use 12.5mm. The only thing I hate about the 12.5mm is the weight of them !

The 9.5mm for dot & dab on wall ? I would've thought 12.5mm would be better, it's not too flexible unless plenty of adhesive with 9.5mm ??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back