Plasterer damaged cable. Is repair okay?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Plasterer went through a cable which runs straight down to a light switch.

The wall is dot and dab.

Is it okay to simply join the wires with a maintenance free junction box, then plaster over it? Do I need to take any extra precautions?

Attachments

• IMG_20230317_140208254~2.jpg
    IMG_20230317_140208254~2.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 195
Sponsored Links
Better to replace the cable/s

Can I ask why?

Hopefully I can avoid this as it will be too much palava. The wire travels through a boxed in metal beam, then insulated ceiling with Pir.

Can I ask why?
Yes you can,

My answer is that a concealed junction box is never a good idea.

As the plasterer did the damage then he should agree to re-plaster the area after a new cable has been installed.

I recall an area of plaster in a house that gave a "tingle" when touched. There was a cable repair joint buried in the wall. Plaster that was damp from condensation was in contact with a Live terminal.

Sponsored Links
How on earth did he "go through" the cable? What exactly was he doing, was it the edge of he trowel?

I wonder what it used to be. Light switch?

Maintenance free junction box. All wire were neatly tucked into the 221 slots and all earth were sleeved.

Can we plaster over now?

Attachments

• IMG_20230318_161300950_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230318_161300950_HDR.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 97
Maintenance free junction box. All wire were neatly tucked into the 221 slots and all earth were sleeved. Can we plaster over now?
Strictly speaking, I suppose the answer is yes. However, I'm sure that many of us would feel that 'plastering in' any junction box (even if 'maintenance-free') is far from a good (or 'nice') idea.

Kind Regards, John

Strictly speaking, I suppose the answer is yes. However, I'm sure that many of us would feel that 'plastering in' any junction box (even if 'maintenance-free') is far from a good (or 'nice') idea.

Kind Regards, John
But why?

Is it because, potentially the wire may come lose in the connection. Thus breaking the electrical connections and your light fitting/switch no longer works?

But why? Is it because, potentially the wire may come lose in the connection. Thus breaking the electrical connections and your light fitting/switch no longer works?
Yes.

As you imply, there is not really any significant 'safety' issue (although some might say that if a connection became 'loose', it could overheat and cause a fire!), but it just doesn't feel 'nice' - a bit like 'papering over cracks', I suppose :)

Kind Regards John

Because it's a bodge. How much this offends one's desire to do a good job is highly variable to the person

I wouldn't do it; plasterer on hand means you can rip that wire out in both directions as far as needed to renew the length, put the junction somewhere accessible and only take a few minutes more to plaster over..

although some might say that if a connection became 'loose
(which, incidentally, isn't supposed to happen in an MF joint)

Because it's a bodge. How much this offends one's desire to do a good job is highly variable to the person
Indeed. As I said, it's just 'not nice' - even though I could not really justify my concerns particularly logically (in terms of 'safety' etc.).

It's a bit like the Victorian tradesmen who built my house in the 1880s/1890s. As we only discover when we 'dismantle things', their 'pride in their work' (and desire to 'do a good job') was so extreme that they seem to have done things (aesthetically, as well as technically) 'perfectly', even when it was apparent that the result of their efforts would be hidden, and very probably never seen by anyone. These days, that would probably be regarded as 'wasted effort'!
I wouldn't do it; ...
As is probably apparent, nor would I.
(which, incidentally, isn't supposed to happen in an MF joint)
No, it's not meant to happen, and very probably only happens very rarely, if ever. However, I am a great believer in "devils we have known for a very long time" and, in terms of connections/joints in domestic electrical installations, that's true of 'screwed connections', but won't be true for a few more decades in terms of 'spring-based' ones ;)

Kind Regards, John

How on earth is someone supposed to know that that lot is in the wall when they come to put up a picture etc. ???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back