plastering and replastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the difference between plastering and re-plastering?

Does replastering includes the action of laying down new plasterboard and then applying plaster on top of it?

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
There is no real difference; at the end of the day plaster is plaster! In an existing property, it can be just a case of skimming over the existing finish if it’s in reasonably good condition; putting new plasterboard over the old finish (dot & dab) & skimming over that; or ripping to whole lot down to bare blocks & starting again, either with a plasterboard base or doing it properly by applying a new undercoat plaster base & a finishing skim over that. With hollow stud walls, it’s probably just a quick to rip the old boards off the timber studding & start again. I’ve used all these methods but if it's bare blockwork, I personally prefer a new undercoat base & finish over that. IMO, to dot & dab plasterboard over block work (certainly in a new property) is just the builder being a cheapskate; I also hate hollow stud walls!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back