plastering cable directly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I\\\'ve removed a skirting board and placed an electricity cable where the cavity is, to feed a jacuzzi bath. I have now plastered directly over the cable without putting in any kind of conduit...is this safe, or do I really need to dig it out and install conduit?

Sponsored Links
Aslong as you have run it inside a wiring zone, it is fine.

I wiring zone is defined by an accessory mounted on a wall (socket, switch, blank plate). A safe wiring zone is vertically above and below a accessory, the width of the accessory, and also horizontally left to right as above.

You may also run cables in safe zones which are 150mm from any ajoining walls (internal corners of a room), and where the wall meets the ceiling.

If you want to run outside these safe zones, you need to bury the cable deeper than 2" (and make sure it is 2" deep from the reverse side!), or install the cable in earthed conduit or similar. You can also directly cover cables with a metalic armouring or concentric construction, such as SPLIT concentric cables, SWA cables, MI, FP etc

You might want to think about whether you might ever want to remake a connection or extend the cable run - if you put the cable direct in plaster you cannot pull through a bit of slack if you need it or pull through a longer cable.

Sponsored Links
Thanks folks - I've adhered to the safe wiring zone limitation and I don't think I'll ever want to move the cable.

I really wanted to know if there was any danger of the cable overheating or the like, as might be the case when installing loft insulation on top of electrical cabling?

As long as it's safe in this respect, I don't mind about other issues.

Cheers, Mario

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back