Plastering on plaster + horsehair plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to make a nice flat wall to paint on. The wall has the original Victorian horsehair plaster underneath various patch jobs + skims. The wall is brick underneath, not lathe and plaster.

The skims had broken off in some places leaving holes, which I filled with Tetrion...probably not the best thing, but I took someone's advice...which he subsequently changed... However, it seems to be reasonably steady now.

The problem is, with all of these skims and patches, the wall is now built up almost to the level of the window surround, which is supposed to stand proud of the plaster. At the same time, as the wall is quite 'wavy', I want to build it up to flatten it out.

What can I do? If I hack into the bumps so that I don't have to build out to that level, I can see the whole layer of plaster coming down...but if that's what needs to be done, I'll do it.

Or should I build out the window so that it stands proud again?

What's the best plaster for this job?

Thanks,
--notant

Sponsored Links
Give the wall an even break :LOL: It`s withstood the Luftwaffe....so now take all the plaster off and get one of our allies to re do it....Polish plasterers are usually good and cheap

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back