PLASTERING OVER TILES?

One thing I will admit to is that if you plaster over tiles that have been left the teeniest bit soapy - the plaster will pull off in no time - no matter how you prepare it.

Sponsored Links
When you plaster over a tiled wall,you are possibly creating a problem for someone in the future who maybe wants to put sockets in the wall,or maybe wants to chase the wall for cables or pipework.It could end up a nightmare job,costing someone a lot of money.

Roughcaster.

Plastering over tiles on ANY wall could present a future problem was the point of my argument. Sockets in a bathroom? No. Chases in the walls for cables and pipes? There's always the possibility

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
topic seems to have caused a stir. the question raised was - is it possible and yes it is. i have the before and after photo's to prove it (which are available on request) and the transformation is spot on.

1mm might have been a bit precise. any body who has plastered will know i meant the thinnest coat using a trowel.

all i can say is that if you want to plaster over tiles (and i do) the best way to do it is to use bonding. because bonding won't spread completely to cover every bit of the surface due to the bits in it that pull on the trowel when it’s applied thinly you need to follow it up with a coat of browning. this again the thinnest coat using a trowel. then apply finish in the normal way.

i judge the thickness to use 1 bag of bonding and 1 bag of browning per bathroom. i normally leave the bath in place but take out the basin and toilet to improve access.

Pauldavis21 who raised this topic said that in the end,his cutomer had the tiles removed.I know you can plaster over tiles,the same as you can plaster over many things after preparation. My argument is the same as others.A short-cut, bodge up now,is maybe someone else's problem in the future.

Roughcaster.

Amazing,

Roughcaster, looks as if me and you are the only people who would walk away from a job like that, and keep our good reputation in the process. I am in no way saying plaster wont stick to tiles but it IS and always WILL BE a bodged job.

Bonding will dryout before it has time to cure if it is applied too thinly. I'm sure you have all had it where you are doing a little patch plastering and where you have a little residue on top of the original plaster it wipes off like chalk dust ? well that is plaster that has dried out before it has had time to cure.

Anyway, Im off to brick up a window for a customer who is having a conversion done. Then again, i wonder if i just plaster on top of the glass??? Wouldnt have to worry about suction issues thats for certain. Gawd, got me thinking of bodging and scarpering now
:eek:

It's up to the householder what he wants to do. Chipping off tiles usually brings off clods of mortar that take more patching than skimming over tiles.
It's got nothing to do with good practice.

Oh Gawd.. ok,whatever. Your a bit late now though ain't ya.If you look back to the original poster,the householder,after listening to good advice, decided to have the job done PROPERLY,and had all the tiles removed before plastering, EVERYTHING to do with good practice.

Roughcaster.

diyisfree";p="751106 said:
Amazing,

Roughcaster, looks as if me and you are the only people who would walk away from a job like that, and keep our good reputation in the process. I am in no way saying plaster wont stick to tiles but it IS and always WILL BE a bodged job.

Your not the only one guys with you on this one, never heard something so ridiculous total bodge job.

Oh Gawd.. ok,whatever. Your a bit late now though ain't ya.If you look back to the original poster,the householder,after listening to good advice, decided to have the job done PROPERLY,and had all the tiles removed before plastering, EVERYTHING to do with good practice.

Roughcaster.

Don't be daft. If you took that attitude to everything in the house you'd have to rebuild it. Sometimes it is better to simply plaster over tiles. If you at some stage gut the bathroom then you can take them off. Until that time there's simply no need whatsoever.

Put your bl**dy glasses on and read the posts properly.The bathroom was gutted,totally, and a new suite installed.You spend more time criticising other peoples last posts,than bothering to read the overall story. You bodge a job up if you want too,us lads are not for bodging.

Roughcaster.

makes you wonder doesn't it.........

i mean, folks are getting lazier and want results quicker.

i wonder how many times, one could tile-on-tile, then a coat of bonding, with another layer of tiles, more bonding, some skim, another layer of tiles.................... :eek: :LOL:

i've come across multi layers of wallpaper before but i think we're moving into a new era.

and it's all thanks to polyvinyl acetate. ;)

makes you wonder doesn't it.........

i mean, folks are getting lazier and want results quicker.

i wonder how many times, one could tile-on-tile, then a coat of bonding, with another layer of tiles, more bonding, some skim, another layer of tiles.................... :eek: :LOL:

i've come across multi layers of wallpaper before but i think we're moving into a new era.

and it's all thanks to polyvinyl acetate. ;)

would make the bathroom a lot warmer, and a lot smaller! lmao i cant beleive there are people out there willing to plaster over tiles! i have had a couple of times been asked if i can tile over the existing tiles and said no, its a pain in the long run to save them a few quid now on time and effort makes a hell of a lot of work in the future. i applaud the real tradesmen in here for their smart comments and willingness to do the job properly! :cool:

Put your bl**dy glasses on and read the posts properly.The bathroom was gutted,totally, and a new suite installed.You spend more time criticising other peoples last posts,than bothering to read the overall story. You bodge a job up if you want too,us lads are not for bodging.

Roughcaster.

If it was completely gutted why leave the tiles on then? :rolleyes:

I don't think you are a real plasterer at all.

Bet you did a five day course. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back