Plastering tips. Or should this be in decorating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there, just wondering if you have any tips about plastering.
I 'm going to plaster my ceiling betwwen the exposed floor joists (average 300mm centres) adn have never done any plastering. Luckily I'm not after a mirror finish at all so as to go with my rough rendered walls.
Fisrtly how many parts plaster to water and then after that any tips?
I've got board plaster. I assume you don't wet the boards first.
Thanks for any help.
Tom

no, its fine here.

Sponsored Links
It tells you on the back of the bag. It's good that you don't want a perfect job. Makes you wonder why plasterers have a 4 year apprenticeship really.

Cheers Joe-90, having seen some beautiful mirror finish plastering I can understand the 4 year apprantiships and see quality plastering as one of the most skilled services there is. as you say its lucky I'm after something that will look like something found in a old artisans cottage.
I've found stuff on t'interweb about walls but none on ceilings.

When mixing plaster everything has to be properly clean !!

Put some water in a bucket 3-6 inch to start with, slowly add the plaster powder and mix, we use a piece of latt cut to a usable length.

As you add plaster it will become harder to mix, when the bucket starts turning while you are mixing you are getting close.

Clean round the inside of the bucket with a clean trowel so any dry bits drop into the bottom of the bucket.

Having previously bought a plaster whisk which fits into a good corded drill (not cordless), whisk the plaster so it becomes smooth with no lumps etc.

Now, it doesn't want to be really wet and runny nor does it want to be like bulls liver. If in doubt keep it a bit wetter.

When you apply the plaster go once over covering the full surface as required, don't worry to much about lines etc however keep the edges tidy, when that skim becomes tacky give it maybe 5 minutes and put a second skim on.

Again don't worry to much about lines, just get it on making sure you cover all of the previous skim.

Once both skims are on carefully tidy lines, edges etc. As the plaster goes off you will find you can apply more pressure.

Use a wide brush with water on it to wet up the area you are polishing, don't drag plaster off to much, just level and flatten as required.

As the plaster hardens you will find less comes off on the float, until eventually you are just polishing with water and nothing comes off onto the float.

By that stage you should have made a good job of it :LOL:

Start off with a small area and see how you go, remember.....

Plaster waits for no man, it goes off when it goes off.

Leave plenty of time to make a good job of it ;)

Sponsored Links
joe-90 said:
It tells you on the back of the bag. It's good that you don't want a perfect job. Makes you wonder why plasterers have a 4 year apprenticeship really.
joe-90 your a star & thats an understatement classic!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back