plastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok now i know i can,t do a great job but as it,s the airing cuboard i,m goning to have a go myself at plastering :D

I,ve read back and found some great advice, but my main problem is that the ceiling is not straight :confused: old house nothing is bloody straight
I,m looking at 1870mm at one end and 1860mm at the other but it,s not an even line any tips on how to get a nice tight fit all the way along without to much messing around with the plasterboard, plus any other advice more than helpful as first time i,ve done this................just happy it,s hidden in the airing cuborad :)

Marty

Sponsored Links
If you have not done it before, you may find it helpfult to tack a couple of battens to the wall, and lay your plaster flush with them (you can also rule off the plaster between them). Is is easier to plaster a patch between flat surfaces than a whole wall. You can pull out the battens and plaster it in like a chase afterwards.

Sorry did not make myself clear :oops:

I,m reboarding the ceiling and plastering that as it has a really bad artex finish, but it,s not square to the walls if that makes sense and it,s only 900 wide by 1860 so i,m thinking of using two half boards as i have boxed in pipes at one end as well and two boards seems easier to mess around with.
Just wondered if there is an easy way to cut the board or boards without lots of fitting attempts, like if i was cutting in a work top say using a 20mm bit of wood and run it down the wall with a pencil on the board

Hope this makes more sense

Measure twice-cut once. If you can't get the board to fit smack bang upto the edges of the wall and it leaves a massive gap, just fill it with a bit of bonding before you skim it.

If you put the board up in two halves, make sure you tape the cut in the in the middle of the board where it meets. If you don't, a crack will appear in the plaster after a period of time.

Sponsored Links
As Lee-King say's, measure twice-cut once.

You might also use a large piece of cardboard as a template to mark onto your plaster board before cutting the plaster board.

To smooth the edge's of your plaster board after cutting, use a surform plain if you have one, if not the edge of your stanley knife.

As Lee-King say's fill any small gaps with bonding and cover with joint tape.

Good luck..... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back