Plastic coverings at end of roof, name?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My old property had plastic coverings over the mortar under the tiles at the gable ends to protect from the elements, what are those coverings called please? I've searched b&q, wickes etc but can't see them so assume I need to get them from a trade roofing place.

Any comments on their effectiveness? I assume they actually protect the mortar rather than just hide the effects of the years?

Thanks

View media item 47542

Sponsored Links
Thanks, looks like they are designed to replace mortar rather than be fit over the top?

just had mine ripped off and replaced with mortar as some dropped off anyway and when you view the line from the front of the house, it was like a snake....totally NOT straight.
Cost me £230 for front and back (one side as its a semi)

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks, the ones on my old property were fine but I have seen quite a few houses where they are on the main roof and a number of them are missing. Think I'll put that one down as an optional very long term job to be done, plenty more on the list with a higher priority. Interesting that I saw a post saying the PVC systems will probably only last 10 years before needing replacement (brittle/yellowing), the ones on my old place must have been there for 18 years with no signs of issues.

Interesting that I saw a post saying the PVC systems will probably only last 10 years before needing replacement

If installed properly dry ridge/verge systems will outlast wet verges without the need for costly maintenance.

They are not designed to cover over existing wet verges either.

As far as discoloration is concerned the upvc verge and roofline products on todays market are much more colour fast and uv resistant than their predecessors.

http://www.roofapedia.com/Roof-Info-Centre/2/Dry-Fix-Systems.aspx

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back