plastic on to clay 6" socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought an adaptor to fit to an old 6" clay socket under my 19th century house.
The adaptor looks as though it should fit right into the pipe with the disc stop fitting into the shoulder of the socket.
But it seems too tight to do that
I thought about grinding it down and of course using a hammer :)
I am worried about damaging the socket if it is not meant to fit as I thought.
Any ideas out there?

Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
If the collar you've got is for thin walled clay then it wont fit salt glazed. Forcing it is likely to break either pipe or fitting or both!

Either chop the collar off and use a flexseal or similar connector, or alternatively you can obtain a short clay fitting with a ring seal spigot to go into current salt glazed socket, other end is a thin wall clay spigot. Fit appropriate coupling to accept plastic or clayware as appropriate. Naylor Drainage offer various couplings for adapting clay pipes. http://naylor.co.uk/drainage/

I had to join into a clay pipe on my build. The adapter I bought claimed it would fit quite a wide range of diameter clay pipes but it was way to tight to fit the pipe when I tried it. In the end put it in warm water to soften it a little then it pushed, with a bit of a fight, onto an off cut of the clay pipe that I had already dug up. I then took it off and it then slid nicely onto the bit of clay pipe in the ground.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back