fitting plastic adaptor to 6" clay socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Below my (Victorian era) house is a clay soil pipe connection , long disused. I have bought an adaptor which looks as though it should fit right inside the pipe with the surrounding disk hard against the shoulder of the socket and making a seal. I'm reluctant to use force and the adaptor won't easily fit inside the clay pipe. Can I tap it home?

Sponsored Links
Not sure what adaptor you have, but it should be a snug (watertight!) fit. I'd be wary of tapping anything home into a pipe of that vintage, they can be extremely fragile, and you may run the risk of cracking the entire pipe along it's length..... :( I'd look at using a Fernco type connector on the outside of the pipe if at all unsure.

McAlpine do a 4" connector, (similar to a pan connector but accepts 110mm plastic in the other end), which should fit ok. I would hazard a guess you have a 4" clay pipe, 6" would be used on a run where a number of properties are connected.

I would also suugest it may be wise to get the pipe CCTV surveyed before connecting up, unless you are confident of it's condition downstream. Possible it could be cracked/full of roots/collapsed, especially if it's been left redundant for some time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back