Plastic or Copper?

gas4you said:
Do we all really think Hep will pay out on day 364 year 49 if a fault develops :LOL:
But have you ever seen 50 year-old copper tube?

Sponsored Links
Had a plumber recently tell me that plastic pipes are NOT a good idea for the following reason;

When plastic heats up it expands, where these pipes reach a join this expansion can allow the atmosphere in causing problems such as rusting of metal pipes/radiators...

The only way to avoid this is to make sure the plastic pipe used is a 'double skin' or 'double layer', I forget his exact description, pipe or copper....

Not sure if this is the case or if he was (due to problems I was having at the time) trying to con me!

This is very old hat now, but there are two classes of plastic pipe (leaving aside composition of the plastic material):- standard, and barrier.

Standard pipe is wholly inappropriate for use in heating systems, because the plastic is porous enough to allow oxygen to pass through it. Barrier pipe must be used to prevent this.

So he's not trying to con you Gilly10, and he's sort of right, but for the wrong reason. I've never heard the idea that your plumber expressed to you, being that the expansion of the pipework causes oxygen intake. I suspect that this part of what he told you is the purest tosh.

Thanks for that - couple of questions off the back of this;

How do I tell if I have barrier or standard installed?

If it is standard - whilst being inappropriate, what are the concerns, is it a case of a 'must replace'

Sponsored Links
Gilly10 said:
How do I tell if I have barrier or standard installed?
Either read the writing on the outside, or take a fitting off and look at the cut end - the membrane is visible.

If it is standard - whilst being inappropriate, what are the concerns, is it a case of a 'must replace'
Is something not sinking in?

I said it was "wholly inappropriate", and the concerns are the ones that your noted in your first post. :confused:

"Must" you replace it? Well of course you don't have to.

Only you, and nobody here, can weigh up whether you should replace the faulty pipework now or wait for the deficiency to lead to other problems. It's your choice. :rolleyes:

And note that plastic pipe expands as much or more than copper when it gets hot!
I've got a 'major problem' installation with expansion noise from pipes in ceiling voids under beam/block floors. No access AT ALL except take down the ceilings! Ouch! (The REALLY big problem is not being able to inspect usefully to find out the actual reason for the noises: loose pipes? wrong clips? long runs and nowhere for the expansion to go? You tell me!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back