plastic pies

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read on this forum the fors and against for plastic and push on fittings but I wonder is there going to be any problems when inhibitor and cleansers and power flushing are introduced to a system that is plastic or part plastic and copper.

Sponsored Links
According the literature published by the manufacturers of plastic pipework, of plastic fittings, and of inhibitor, there will be no problem.

Oh you meant pipes not pies, how disappointing.

Man from Cuprofit said they don't like Everflux because it attacks stainless steel, which I thought was quite an admission (though it's obvious), but was quite happy with for example DS-40.

More interesting is the statement on the Potty boiler installations that says the system should be able to stand 110ºC at 3 bar.
Hepworth say the pipe melts at 125, but is ok for "a short period" at 114º, at 3 bar. Bit close really!

Can't remember where, but I read somewhere that plastic pipe or fittings shouldn't be used within 1 metre of the boiler.

Sponsored Links
call me old fashioned but i dont think plastic should be used on anything but waste pipes. (barring UFH)

bab said:
call me old fashioned but i dont think plastic should be used on anything but waste pipes. (barring UFH)
You're old fashioned bab!

hey i know. so do my customer base which keeps me very busy. 40 goin on 60. stiff will allways beat floppy in my book.

bab said:
hey i know. so do my customer base which keeps me very busy. 40 goin on 60. stiff will allways beat floppy in my book.
Certainly for stiffness, and for [low] cost of materials, but not for speed of installation, and not for ease of fitting where access is limited, or for between ceiling and floorboards where you can't risk waving a blowtorch about, or for demountability, or for longevity...

I must be a little old fashioned !

Because plastic cannot withstand fault conditions on heating circuits, I do not consider that plastic is safe for use on pressurised heating systems.

Last week I spoke to someone who had about £4000 damage caused because some bodger had used a plastic connector rated at a maximum of 65*C for a heating circuit and that was an OPEN vented system!

Tony

Softus said:
bab said:
You're old fashioned bab!
even the dinosaur plumber ..me......says you`re old fashioned :LOL:

Agile said:
I must be a little old fashioned !

Because plastic cannot withstand fault conditions on heating circuits, I do not consider that plastic is safe for use on pressurised heating systems.

Last week I spoke to someone who had about £4000 damage caused because some bodger had used a plastic connector rated at a maximum of 65*C for a heating circuit and that was an OPEN vented system!
From the Hepworth Installer Guide:

[code:1]Table No. 1 Peak Life Cycle Operating Temperatures/Pressures (°C)
20 30 40 50 60 70 80 95 Short Malfunction at 114°C
Safe pressures:
Bar 12 11.5 11 10.5 9 8 7 6 3
psi 174 167 160 152 131 116 102 87 43.5
Head of water (m) 120 115 110 105 90 80 70 60 29
[/code:1]

and:

[code:1]Hep2O® has a design life expectancy of 50 years, which is based upon the operating conditions given in Table No. 1. As a result of its rigorous Quality Management Programme Hepworth Building Products offer a 50 year guarantee against defects in materials or manufacturing of all Hep2O® pipe and fittings.
[/code:1]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back