Power flushing

You posted this:

if the same person that told you its the plastic pipe thats responsible for the muck, get it checked by someone else.

The op has said it is non barrier pipe, this pipe allows air through it into the water hence steel, air and water cause sludge.

Sponsored Links
HarrogateGas said:
But what your saying is the same as.......dont fit expensive carpits because you may get a mark on them.

Are you attempting to liken plastic pipes to expensive carpets?

It makes no sense.

It certainly doesn't

I dont disagree that mice like to chew through plastic pipe

We are getting somewhere then.

but if you got mice then deal with them

And if you don't know you've got them until they have chewed through a pipe?

but dont blame plastic pipe for them.

Please show me where I have "blamed plastic pipe" for causing mice.

You could argue to use plastic because mice prefer them to electric cables and as electricians are more expensive than plumbers then this is the best alternative.

IF you suspect you have a significant mouse (or other rodent) problem, and the consequences of the damage would be significant, then for cables, running them in metal conduit would be the solution. This is a requirement for instance for running cables in the lofts of thatched buildings. Why would you recommend running plastic water pipes in the hope those would be eaten instead of cables?

You make no sense

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hi. Thanks for all the replies. Just to summarise:

1) My pipework is (apparently) non barrier pipe, which (I was told by a plumber) is responsible for allowing air (oxygen) to pass into the water, thereby increasing the rate of corrosion of the system internally and causing an enhanced build up of muck in the radiators. If this is true then barriered pipework or copper pipework would prevent this added corrosion and build up of muck, yes?

2) I don't have a mouse problem, but I take the point about them not being able to eat copper pipes. I had one in my shed once - it did lots of poo in some old trainers. I also have trouble with squirrels eating my strawberries, but that's a separate issue.

3) If I could ask again about the size of the job to replace the pipes i.e. how messy and how long (I live in a 3 bed semi with 10 radiators) and also if the new pipework would be totally exposed around the house or hidden like it is now (apart from at connections to radiators of course).

Thanks again.

Fatty,

I am in a similar situation with dreaded non-barrier plastic pipe, which was installed in the house some 14 years ago before it was a big no-no.

1. I am not sure you would get no corrosion, my dad with a complete copper system still gets corrosion although with plastic non-barrier its said to be much worse.

I was advised to put 2 or 3 times the amount of inhibitor in compared to a copper system.

2. Not sure if mines been chewed. :)

3. I too am thinking of this as in a few months I am looking to replace my Thermal Store/Traditional Boiler with a Combi system (purely to save space as my house is small and I figure a 27kw Worchester/Bosch Combi will be ok for my 2 bedroomed house.

Trouble is like you, I have to decide if I want mass devastation from a re-piping exercise. I figure there are two options, neither of them pleasant in my eyes.

a) rip out all the old pipework, and replace with barrier plastic / or copper and have lots of re-plastering (downstairs), re-flooring upstairs (I have chipboard floors upstairs and laminate in the bathroom to contend with).

b) have unsightly, god awful methods to hide the downstairs pipes, be it conduit up the walls or sth similar.

I am reluctant to chew on (not a mouse) either of those options personally.

A plumber here of course recommends the pipe change when I have the new boiler but also says that heavy use of inhibitor (and maybe draining down and flushing once in a while (which I do now). He also said fitting a magna clean magnetic filter on the system would help.

I figure that replacing knackered radiators I can cope with, but the boiler being damaged by the non-barrier issue might be an issue. Saying that, the boiler here and tank have been fine for me the past two years, since I drained and cleaned and loaded with inhibitor. The boiler is still working flawlessly at 14 years old (Ideal Standard Elan 2). The tank however is looking in worse shape. I may just go at risk and leave the pipping for a few more years.

Mike

Sponsored Links
Fatty,

I am in a similar situation with dreaded non-barrier plastic pipe, which was installed in the house some 14 years ago before it was a big no-no.

1. I am not sure you would get no corrosion, my dad with a complete copper system still gets corrosion although with plastic non-barrier its said to be much worse.

I was advised to put 2 or 3 times the amount of inhibitor in compared to a copper system.

2. Not sure if mines been chewed. :)

3. I too am thinking of this as in a few months I am looking to replace my Thermal Store/Traditional Boiler with a Combi system (purely to save space as my house is small and I figure a 27kw Worchester/Bosch Combi will be ok for my 2 bedroomed house.

Trouble is like you, I have to decide if I want mass devastation from a re-piping exercise. I figure there are two options, neither of them pleasant in my eyes.

a) rip out all the old pipework, and replace with barrier plastic / or copper and have lots of re-plastering (downstairs), re-flooring upstairs (I have chipboard floors upstairs and laminate in the bathroom to contend with).

b) have unsightly, god awful methods to hide the downstairs pipes, be it conduit up the walls or sth similar.

I am reluctant to chew on (not a mouse) either of those options personally.

A plumber here of course recommends the pipe change when I have the new boiler but also says that heavy use of inhibitor (and maybe draining down and flushing once in a while (which I do now). He also said fitting a magna clean magnetic filter on the system would help.

I figure that replacing knackered radiators I can cope with, but the boiler being damaged by the non-barrier issue might be an issue. Saying that, the boiler here and tank have been fine for me the past two years, since I drained and cleaned and loaded with inhibitor. The boiler is still working flawlessly at 14 years old (Ideal Standard Elan 2) so I may just go at risk and leave the pipping for a few more years.

Mike

This post is almost exactly a year old mate, dont think Fatty cares no more

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back