Plastic pipes on sealed central heating system.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to embark on my first plumbing project; replacing a radiator and associated pipe work to the lounge. I've read some of the previous posts and i'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing but would like a few things confirming:

Is plastic pipe acceptable on a sealed central heating system, as long as pipe is barrier pipe?

Is inhibitor ok to use in systems with plastics pipes?

Are all pushfit fittings and pipe compatible? i.e. don't have to be same brand pipe and fitting.

Can I use plastic pushfit isolation valves on my existing copper pipes to connect the new plastics pipes. The existing isolation valves are leaking so i want to change them.

I reckon the answer to all them is yes but I'd like someone more knowledgable than myself to confirm! ;)

Sponsored Links
Yes indeed to all of them. However i'd be tempted to use the same brand fittings as the pipework. They do all fit and seal however the manufacturers will not say they can be used with another brand product so best do things by the book.

Speedfit are ok but my fav is Hep20, for a DIYER the fittings and components are the most easy to use and IMO the neatest too.

Sponsored Links
Whatever you do, don't forget to buy some pipe inserts to go in the the ends of the plastic pipes, before they are inserted in to the fittings. They are small, but vital components that are occasionally overlooked by some DIYers.

Good luck.

Also read boiler manufacturers instructions as there is the odd one or two out there that says no plastic at all when on a sealed system

Go for it.
This never happens.
burstplasticpipe.jpg

Almost

what happened there then?

The hotter it gets the less pressure it can take. If it get way too hot with excessive pressure and the pressure relief does not open when it should, that can happen. Also some pipe may get scored on the surface when fed through floors/walls, etc. This weakens the pipe and that can occur at quite low temperatures/pressures

what happened there then?

The hotter it gets the less pressure it can take. If it get way too hot with excessive pressure and the pressure relief does not open when it should, that can happen. Also some pipe may get scored on the surface when fed through floors/walls, etc. This weakens the pipe and that can occur at quite low temperatures/pressures

Also a nuclear bomb may go off in the loft and the plastic pipe will be sure to leak first..........

Ignore the scaremongers, it really is a brilliant product if used properly. Its opened up basic plumbing to even the novice of DIYers

Harrogate how would an insert stop a pipe splitting outwars as this one has done. If it was so safe and an excellent product why would some boiler manufacturers say do NOT fit on sealed system ,i have never seen any boiler manufacturer say do not use copper

Unfortunately from that picture, we cannot tell what has caused that pipe to burst like that.. It is designed to work within set parameters of temperature and pressure.. If the boiler overheat had been bypassed, PRV been tampered with or just not fitted, then this could happen. But is it really the fault of the pipe?..... Of course it may have been where it could have been exposed to the elements and frozen...

I like to think that plastic would melt if my house was on fire and put the fire out.. Lets see copper do that :LOL:

It is funny that plastic components are used so widely in todays world in situations that would make people cringe if they thought about it, yet pass a bit of water down a quite substantial plastic pipe and it is a truly terrible thing. We heating guys are a very conservative bunch aren't we?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back