plastic to copper pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello, i live in a flat on the first floor where the water supply comes up in the corner at the back of the kitchen the sink being on the wall opposite, last week we had leak it turned out to be a tiny pin hole under the sink I was away at the time and the tenant below phoned to inform me, she also told me that other tenants have had the same problem and I need to replace the old 1963 pipes to avoid a repeat performance, my question is can I connect plastic pipes cold and hot to the copper feed and cistern respectively, plastic because I can then run them in one length behind the units removing the need to dismantle the units ever again, and if so will this nullify the earth connection.

Sponsored Links
1963 copper pipes are 1/2 inch......modern copper is 15mm....so you can use push-fit fittings from plastic to 15mm.....but you need Compression fittings for 1/2 inch to plastic . AFAIK ;) have a look for Hep 2 0- too

Whatever make of plastic pipe you fit, make sure you fit the inserts into the end of the plastic pipe before fitting into the compression fittings.

Don't overtighten them at first. You can always give them an extra 1/4 to 1/2 turn afterwards.

Sponsored Links
Some makes of plastic pipe have adapters to convert from imperial to metric. Different brands have different requirements to validate the warranty, best to write or email the manufacturer.
Provided your earth is installed correctly, changing part of the pipe work to plastic should be fine. Having said that, the earth is faulty or at least substandard in a frightening amount of flats and interrupting the pipe if the earthing is not correct in the first place can cause significant danger. If you have any doubts, get the wiring checked.

thank you to all of you for your advice, D day tomorrow, I might be back on line friday

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back