Plastic vs copper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Without opening a massive debate and can of worms...

Is plastic now seen as being just a good as copper? Obviously it’s wuicjer and easier to work with but is it ok replace mains water, hot water and central heating pipes with plastic?

What brand is considered to be the best in plastic?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Just done my cold, hot and central heating in my extension with plastic. Was certainly quicker and cheaper than copper but I’m mildly nervous as copper does seem to have that reassuring sturdiness.

Coppers proper !

Plastic is fantastic !

But mice don't chew copper and cause leaks.

Copper is proper
Plastic is drastic, especially when mice start eating it!

Sponsored Links
Plastic is for amateurs and new build quality plumbing......$hite !!!

Having had half of my DIY copper plumbing, installed by me which had lasted nearly 20 years without a leak, replaced by a professional plumber, with plastic which is struggling to last 2 years (4 leaks already). I can honestly say, I would never, ever, ever consider using plastic again.

Of course it might have been down to the cretin who installed it. Though the numpty who paid him is also somewhat to blame :oops:

in a plumber's merchants a few years ago,

A rep for a manufacturer / importer of plastic plumbing systems was setting up the display stand for the items. When challenged about the quality of plastic plumbing he admitted he would not use / allow plastic pipework in his house

some plastic plumbing products are better than others.Edit-not saying there is anything wrong with jg :idea: Buyer beware and correct testing,come to mind.

When I bought my current house 14 years ago all the plumbing was in copper. I wanted to make some changes and asked about plastic in the local plumbers merchant. I was told that when it first came out many of their customers said they would never use it. But now a few years on they were all using it.
I bought some plastic tube and fittings to experiment with and soon realised it was great.
Soon after I changed my kitchen and used plastic plumbing throughout, mains water, hot and cold stored water, and central heating. Never had any problems and still working with no leaks 14 years on.

As for brands I find Polyplumb pipe more flexible but if it is showing grey is not a good colour. Polyplumb fittings however are a pain if you need to make changes as you need to disassemble them. Speedfit fittings are good and easy to disconnect to make changes.

I have heard some people say you should not mix and match different manufacturers pipe and fittings. Well they are all made to a standard and I've mixed and matched with no long term problems.

Personally, I use plastic pipe but with brass compression fittings.

I love the way the pipe is flexible, so you can often install it as one unjointed length (through holes in joists if necessary) with no intermediate fittings necessary. It makes me smile when I see plastic pipe installed in short straight lengths with loads of push-fit elbows, as if it was copper. The ability to flex the pipe is, I think, it's main advantage.

I'm a bit skeptical that the O-rings in push-fit fittings might not perform perfectly when disturbed after 20 years - hence me using compression fittings. But I'm probably over-cautious...

I have heard some people say you should not mix and match different manufacturers pipe and fittings. Well they are all made to a standard and I've mixed and matched with no long term problems.

The pipe should conform to the relevant BS number as should the fittings, the main reason people say not to mix pipe and fittings is the inserts.
Some fittings are designed to work with a stainless steel insert others with a plastic one and some that have an additional “O” ring.
Also if you mix pipe / fittings / inserts you will void any manufacturers warranty.

I have Speedfit at my house

I had a leak and was cursing them, pulled the pipe out and found it was my fault :LOL::LOL: I didn't push it into the T far enough, still lasted a year though.

IMG_7919.JPG

IMG_7918.JPG

I'm going to hang a picture over the hole in the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back