Please help me choose some blades for my jigsaw....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Sorry to keep on with the "please help me choose" threads! It's your fault for being so helpful!

Anyhow, I recently got a Ryobi jigsaw - one of these:

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...refview=search&ts=1287000759128&isSearch=true

and now want to get a decent set of blades to go with it. I'm guessing there's no point getting a really expensive set seeing as it is quite a cheap tool. On the other hand, I'm presuming really cheap blades will make the job harder and the results worse.

Ryobi themselves do a set of 30 blades for £15ish. Not really sure with Ryobi and others when you're paying for quality and when you're paying for a name.

So any suggestions as to what would be a good and suitable set of blades for this JS would be great.

Cheers

Max

PS - In the first instance I will be using it mainly to cut 18mm MDF and chipboard loft floor panels. Possibly some ply of the same thickness or thereabouts. And the odd bit of baton, etc.

No other plans for now but who knows in the future. So I guess I'm also not sure whether to buy the blades I need for the moment and buy different ones later when the needs arise. Or whether to buy a multi set which will see me good for now and any future needs....

Sponsored Links
You'd be better off with a circular saw for that sort of stuff.

18mm MDF or chipboard is rather thick for a DIY jigsaw. If you are going to use it on them, then I think that you should take it very slowly and perhaps even switch off every few minutes to let it cool down.

Sponsored Links
Brands like Bosch, Dewalt etc are good but stay away from unknown or cheaper brands in my experience.

One bit of good advice I was given some time ago was to always remove the blade when you have finished the job in hand - that way you will always choose the right blade for the next job instead of making do with the one in the jigsaw.

The Screwfix catalogue for one shows a range of blades and what they are used for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back