please help me CORGI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got an 08 plate M5 but it still wouldn't connect the posties boiler.

as is your right m8. i fully accept that.

i cant stand the excuses given, some are valid but most are not.
you will know that better than me.

btw
good luck to you, i hope you continue to do well.

:)

Sponsored Links
thanks for your best wishes. going right back to the original question, the quotes don't seem massively overpriced, you won't get it much cheaper than 400 quid. I, like I'm sure many others have also, will sometime look at a job I simply don't fancy, if that's the case i'll put an inflated price in, its sometimes difficult to look round a job then as you leave say 'im not interested'. a lot simply won't reply to the customer. perhaps our postie has had tradesmen round that arnt particularly impressed.

thanks for your best wishes. going right back to the original question, the quotes don't seem massively overpriced, you won't get it much cheaper than 400 quid. I, like I'm sure many others have also, will sometime look at a job I simply don't fancy, if that's the case i'll put an inflated price in, its sometimes difficult to look round a job then as you leave say 'im not interested'. a lot simply won't reply to the customer. perhaps our postie has had tradesmen round that arnt particularly impressed.

same as we all would do.
i like to say yes or no simply because i feel manners demand it but then i am old fashioned where this sort of thing is concerned.

i would happily pay a £400 price because of the hoops you corgis have to jump through. im lucky because i can but that is a weeks money to a postie.

corgis and jumping through hoops
ive ended up at crufts :oops:

OP......all this time wasting on here.....pointless. Either pay what you have been quoted or don't......one route will get your boiler safely installed and registered the other won't.

Your choice.....just please stop moaning about the prices being quoted....they are what they are....enough people on here have pointed out the reasons!

Sponsored Links
Where is the law that states that it is illegal for non RGI fitters to do gas work, including installing a boiler. It appears that only CORGI fitters seem to believe this.

It is true that only competent people can do such work, but what makes you think that having a piece of paper from CORGI means that only you are competent.

A non registered fitter can contact the local building control officer to have a final inspection carried out and the issue of a certificate of competence issued.

Please tell me if the above is not so, but back your answers up with facts.

how about most manufacturers now put in the installation instructions that it needs to be installed by a competent person and define competent as someone who has took the relevant examination.. eg gas work = acs

oh BTW the best one I have heard so far is...

"As you have done the pipe work yourself I can not be sure that it has been done correctly so I can not do the rest as I will not be able to certify it.. "

hmmm?? After a brief discussion of facts it changed to :

"I will have to check it which is as good as having to do it again... which means I will have to do the same amount of work regardless..."

Its a lucky thing I am not senile.. but I feel for the older members of unsuspecting public.

Well he is right, where the gas run is concerned anyway.

No way I would put my name to anyone elses work,and I dont know many that would.

:)

No, he is not right. Checking somebody else’s gaspipe and then approve it is illegal. Tech bulletin 214 if memory serves me correctly.
Same goes for boiler stuck on the wall by Mr diy-amateur.
You are allowed, as far as I know, to pressure test the rads and sign your name to that, as they are not gasfittings.

Correct me if I am wrong Chris.

Come on guys, 120 quid to install a boiler, repair all the diy problems, and then take responsibility for the lot is ample money.
And if that is not enough, he even offers to pay double!
You are such a greedy, ungrateful lot!
If only I lived in hampshire.

Fellas.. thank you for words of support and also all the valid criticisms..

I am not complaining about paying... I am complaining about lack of transparency and all the "delboy" business that seems to be the norm..

Also just paying the price doesnt seem to guarantee anything in terms of quality of work carried.. corners will be cut regardless..

no illegal work has taken place.. I have simply done the work I could to make it straight forward to a qualified person to come and complete the bits they are qualified to do... I was hoping to save money its no secret but thats not a crime.

I really appreciated the honesty that comes from some of you.. all the crap that comes from others less so..

and please could you not keep getting the facts conveniently wrong... no gas pipe work has taken place.. just water pipes... and all I have done is hang the boiler in position... all connections have yet to be done... 3 amp fuse isolator switch is in place as well as the flexi cable.. everything is in place ready for CORGI registered heating engineer... but 60 quid an hour just doesnt seem to cut it.

I am still no closer to the answer I was looking for... is 60 quid an hour fair?

Can i ask you simple question what would you feel was better value for money , paying a guy 3 hours at 60 quid an hour or a guy 40 quid an hour for 5 hours work for the same end result.

Bear in mind £60/hr would be relative to his turnover. You haven't taken any expense's out to calculate his wage (van, fuel, telephone, qualifications, tools, sundrie materials, account's, 'free estimate's' time, tax, NI etc)

It is true that only competent people can do such work, but what makes you think that having a piece of paper from CORGI means that only you are competent.
How else do you prove competence if you haven't been through an examination process??
A non registered fitter can contact the local building control officer to have a final inspection carried out and the issue of a certificate of competence issued.

Never heard any such nonsense, where on earth did you get this idea??

Please tell me if the above is not so, but back your answers up with facts.

its not so.. You made the statement, YOU provide the facts.

and please could you not keep getting the facts conveniently wrong... no gas pipe work has taken place.. just water pipes... and all I have done is hang the boiler in position... all connections have yet to be done... 3 amp fuse isolator switch is in place as well as the flexi cable.. everything is in place ready for CORGI registered heating engineer... but 60 quid an hour just doesnt seem to cut it.

I am still no closer to the answer I was looking for... is 60 quid an hour fair?

Yes, 60 an hour is fair, I work mostly for less.

4 hours for a boiler installation is a joke.

On average the price for installing a good boiler properly is somewhere around £2000, for an average house.

I should not have to explain that you get what you pay for. You got the smallest model, from the cheapest range, from the cheapest source; draw your own conclusions, when you are looking to get the whole job done for 700

What I probably should explain is that as you supply your own boiler, whoever is going to install it for you is not liable for problems.

Hanging the boiler on the wall is a job for the RGI, and I will not touch a job where Mr money saver has done that for me.

You will also need to have to have the electrical connection to the boiler certified by the way.

When I come across a job where there is new electricity but no report, I start with checking the leccie. And it usually fails.

The reason you have problems getting a proper installer is that you sound like the kind of customer nobody wants; low on pay, high on problems.
Add to that the fact that you have chosen the busiest time of the year when even the weakest brothers in the trade have plenty of work.

This thread makes very intersting reading!
In response to the OP. I would happily qoute for this kind of work, however,
it would be on condition of a site visit confirming everything exisitng is fitted to current standards and you would have to sign the mother of all disclaimers before any work is carried out. £400+materials sounds reasonable for a day rate. 4hours is a little optimistic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back