Please help me - water ingress with pics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of decorating my lounge and whilst i was stripping the wallpaper around the window it wasn't just the wallpaper that came away. All the plaster fell off and beneath it was, well i think it was crumbled plaster sopping wet. How to i fix this, do i need to put sealant between the window and brick?? What do i fill the big hole with between the damp course and internal wall it looks like rubble has been shoved inside it? The seal on the outside looks ok so i don't understand how this has happened and i have no idea what to do and would be grateful if someone could give me a little advice on how to fix.

Sponsored Links
The water can only be coming from the outside, so post up some pics of the window to brickwork seal and we'll see what we can do!
The damp seems to be bridging the cavity so the problem should be fairly obvious.
John :)

Sponsored Links
hmm not sure why the last one didnt rotate but the bricks above the window look a little out of place iykwim!!

Clear the rubbish from the cavities around the windows and install cavity closers.

Sorry dont know what you mean; its just brick all the way up to the roof, no windows above.

The brickwork above the window looks as though it needs pointing.

From what I can see, the sealant around the window seems to be reasonable, but I wonder how much is disguised by masonry paint, etc.
So - the area of greatest suspicion is directly above the window.
Does the hard cast filling or masonry paint appear to be stuck to the bricks? Sometimes if its tapped, it gives off a hollow sound showing that its loose.
Are there any cracks in the rendering, which could let water in? Often water can creep in and wreak havoc a long way away from where the water penetration is.
The area directly above the window may indicate loose brickwork - maybe disturbed when the window was put in.
Get rid of the rubbish within the cavity, and se if there seems to be dampness above the window transom - the top piece. You can easily fill the gap up with aerosol spray foam later - at least, this stuff doesn't allow water to creep through it.
John :)

Thank you i will investigate tomorrow during daylight hours!! There is quite a draft coming from the large hole at the bottom and if i stick my hand into the cavity it feels dry - the top of the window feels totally dry but again i'll had a good prod at it tomorrow. The paint we had put on the brickwork was one of these that is suppose to stop damp and last 25yrs but it seems we've had nothing but problems since having it done and trying to get them back has been impossible (one of these companies that goes bust and then trades under a new name. Our consevatory is leaking water in and the company say its because the paint hasn't been done properly and is allowing water in but not out, we were told by an independent that this was not the case and they hadn't sunk the lead flashing in so we had the lead refitted this weekend - im starting to think ive paid out for nothing now!! Ive just checked my daughters bedroom and there is black mould surrounding that too - both windows and conserv are on the same facing wall - arghhhhh i want to cry!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back