PLEASE Help Me !!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
During the summer for no apparent reason , I got water pouring out of my overflow pipe (from the cold storage tank in the loft).

Several plumbers and heating engineers later , I still have the problem.

I have had the ball crane and washer changed and adjusted and also had a new hot water cylinder fitted but none of these has solved the problem.

The almost constant pouring of water happens whether the heating and water are turned on the timer setting on or off.

The problem seems to be hot water coming from somewhere and through a period of time (couple of hours) somehow finding its way back into the cold water storage tank , causing it to go down the overflow pipe.

Any kind soul out there have any suggestions ?

Sponsored Links
My guess is a shower non return valve letting by. Have you got a shower with gravity hot water and mains cold water. I have seen many problems caused by this. Even with the shower not in use mains water enters hot water system causing overflow in open vented systems.

Several plumbers and heating engineers later , I still have the problem.

Any kind soul out there have any suggestions ?

From a technical point of view this is a very simple fault although I accept that they are not always that easy to trace.

I suggest that you call back the best of the several people who came and get them to find the real fault.

I really get annoyed when I hear of people getting paiud when they are unable to find the fault. I would never think of charging if I could not find the fault.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Any ideas Tony as to what it could be , based on what i have told you has already been done ?

Not without carying out simple tests on your system !

Its clearly not immediately obvious.

You can eliminate mains water feeds by turning off your mains water overnight and not using any taps and seeing what happens and what the level of water in tanks is.

Tony

I turned off the hot water feed from the bottom of the main storage tank and the water went up through the pipe on the roof , as expected.

I have been advised that 1 of the 3 mixer taps that I have in the house could cause the hot water to get into the tank but I dont know how to test for this.

Any ideas ?

I turned off the hot water feed from the bottom of the main storage tank and the water went up through the pipe on the roof , as expected.

I have been advised that 1 of the 3 mixer taps that I have in the house could cause the hot water to get into the tank but I dont know how to test for this.

Any ideas ?
If you can feel the pipes near each of the mixer then,
1 run hot water until pipe is hot.
2 Turn of tap.
3 Feel hot pipe does it stay hot which it should, or does it go cold fairly quickly.
If it goes cold then non return valves letting bye.

Have you got a shower??

Any ideas ?
If you can feel the pipes near each of the mixer then,
1 run hot water until pipe is hot.
2 Turn of tap.
3 Feel hot pipe does it stay hot which it should, or does it go cold fairly quickly.
If it goes cold then non return valves letting bye.

When you say "fairly quickly" , how long are we talking ?

Have you got a shower??

[

If there is no cold water pushing the hot water away the hot pipe will stay hot for several mins and just loose heat gradually, where as if the tap is faulty and passing cold mains water into the hot side then the pipe will cool much more rapidly. Try all three suspect taps and it will proberbly be obvious which one (if any) it is.
Do you have any blender valves on your hot water to restrict hot water temp at tap?

[

If there is no cold water pushing the hot water away the hot pipe will stay hot for several mins and just loose heat gradually, where as if the tap is faulty and passing cold mains water into the hot side then the pipe will cool much more rapidly. Try all three suspect taps and it will proberbly be obvious which one (if any) it is.
Do you have any blender valves on your hot water to restrict hot water temp at tap?

Please excuse my igorance but what do you mean a blender valve ?

How do I know this and where are they located ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back