PLEASE Help Me !!!!!!

Take the bath panel off and put a nrv on the hot pipe

Can I ask how you reach this conclusion from the information provided ?

What was the purpose of turning of the cold feed to the bathroom tub and basin taps to arrive at a problem with the hot water feed on the bath itself ?

Can I not fit a NRV to the hot water supply in the loft instead , rather than removing the tiled bathroom panel ?

It proved that the cold was backing up the hot pipe, yes you could fit it in the loft but the bath would be better if possible.

How can this happen in a mixer tap ?.
Wouldn't the flow of higher pressure cold simply flow into the bath ?.

, you will read on most european cheap stuff that you need to fit check valves

Sponsored Links
Diyitall wrote

you will read on most european cheap stuff that you need to fit check valves

Ok, blame the europeans but it don't answer my question. :rolleyes:

If its a mixer tap designed for equal pressures then the only time the higher pressure may backfeed to the loft storage cistern is when both taps are open .

Sponsored Links
ScottJH said:
Why was the 'cold gravity feed blocked off' in the loft when it should be going to the cold side of your bath mixer?
The gravity feed pressure on the cold side was very slow when filling a bath.

It took around 1 hour to run and fill a bath so the cold water feed was tapped into the mains instead and the cold gravity blocked off.
In that case it would have better to pump it, not introduce a problem by connecting the tap to the mains. I don't mean this in a critical way - just informing you.

ScottJH wrote

It took around 1 hour to run and fill a bath so the cold water feed was tapped into the mains instead and the cold gravity blocked off

In that case their must have been a blockage.
My gravity fed mixer tap fills hot and cold into my bath in about 5 minutes max.

ScottJH wrote

It took around 1 hour to run and fill a bath so the cold water feed was tapped into the mains instead and the cold gravity blocked off

In that case their must have been a blockage.
My gravity fed mixer tap fills hot and cold into my bath in about 5 minutes max.
A blockage where ?

ScottJH wrote

A blockage where ?

You stated " It took around 1 hour to run and fill a bath so the cold water feed was tapped into the mains instead and the cold gravity "

Only a guess going by what you wrote.
As this pipe is now obviously de-commissioned then it is of no relevance anyway.
As I said my gravity cold supply to my bath will fill it in a few minutes.
If it took an hour I would suspect a blockage.
Dead bird or something stuck in the end of the tank connector mebbe. :eek:

Balenza said:
If its a mixer tap designed for equal pressures then the only time the higher pressure may backfeed to the loft storage cistern is when both taps are open .
Porous casting, (unless it's a thermostatic mixer, which I doubt on a bath.)

NEW angle what make & model is ya (electric shower) its not a mixer with an electric booster pump is it. long shot. went to 1 last year with water main to it .

ScottJH wrote

OK but the water is not currently coming out just now and the bath was run for a period of time this morning , to reduce the water level , as it was coming out first thing this morning and last thing last night

Considering the water level in the cistern had been reduced in the morning time , then turning off the bath mixer tap isolating valve a few hours later is no indication that the level did not rise in the cistern due to a problem else where. :(

I assume no one turned on any hot taps during this test period and you periodically checked the cistern to be certain that the level was being maintained ??.

ScottJH wrote

OK but the water is not currently coming out just now and the bath was run for a period of time this morning , to reduce the water level , as it was coming out first thing this morning and last thing last night

Considering the water level in the cistern had been reduced in the morning time , then turning off the bath mixer tap isolating valve a few hours later is no indication that the level did not rise in the cistern due to a problem else where. :(

I assume no one turned on any hot taps during this test period and you periodically checked the cistern to be certain that the level was being maintained ??.

The cold water mains feed to the whole bathroom was turned off for about 5 hours yesterday.

During that time , the toilet was flushed once and a couple of taps where ran briefly.

This took the water level in the storage tank well below the overflow pipe and I checked periodically that the water level in the storage tank didnt rise and it never.

As I have fitted a NRV to the kitchen mixer tap and the bathroom basin mixer tap , it must either be the electric shower or the bath mixer tap.

After listening to all you guys , I suspect , as earlier diagnosed that the problem is in having no current NRV fitted to the bathtub mixer tap.

Correct ???

NEW angle what make & model is ya (electric shower) its not a mixer with an electric booster pump is it. long shot. went to 1 last year with water main to it .
The ELECTRIC shower I have fitted is a CREDA 53-555081.

It is plumbed into mains.

ScottJH said:
As I have fitted a NRV to the kitchen mixer tap and the bathroom basin mixer tap , it must either be the electric shower or the bath mixer tap.
That's an assumption, not a deduction. A faulty NRV would cause no end of confusion. The only way to be certain is to fit an isolating valve on the supply to the faulty tap, shut the valve, open the tap, and observe that the level doesn't rise. You might need to ban the family from the house while you do this.

After listening to all you guys , I suspect , as earlier diagnosed that the problem is in having no current NRV fitted to the bathtub mixer tap.

Correct ???
Incorrect.
The problem is a faulty tap on unbalanced supplies.
The remedy is to balance the supplies.
The workaround is to fit an NRV and cross your fingers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back