Please help! Shower is making me crazy!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I have a stand alone shower with a single handle. It's a Symmons Temptrol assembly with a TA10H spindle (same as the TA10 but with a longer handle for different hardware).

There's a shower head, a diverter, and off the diverter there is a hose and a handle. There are also two wall sprayers. The handle on the hose and sprayers don't drip.

The main shower head was dripping for a long time. Drip. Drip. Drip.
I tried to take the spindle out to change the washer on the back, but it got stuck.
My neighbor is a plumber, he came over to save me and and broke the spindle completely.

Took me like a month to identify the parts. No one knew what it was. I combed the internet until I found a match.

So I ordered a new TA10H spindle and hired a plumber, he swapped it out, it was still dripping. Then I ordered every part of the assembly and he came back, spent four hours in my shower and replaced everything. Now I'm in the hole over 600 bux in parts and labor.

A few weeks ago I noticed the floor of my shower was wet and mildewy. It no longer goes drip, drip, drip. However, when you are done taking a shower and you turn the shower off...a minute later it will spit out about a cup of water...and then...randomly throughout the day, it will spit out about a cup of water. Like it has to throw up all of a sudden. But its not dripping. I touch the head throughout the day and its dry. Dry dry dry. Then all of a sudden I hear splat splat splat and I want to cry. Cup of water.

What the heck is going on? Could this be some kind of water pressure issue in the house? Or is the assembly faulty? The plumber doesn't know what to do.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
The original problem sounds like you needed to replace washers.
When the water is released at what position is the diverter set?
As there is a safety feature on this unit when set for shower.
Did this happen at all prior to refit?
A simple service of all washer, look for damage or any debris could help.
In tub/shower valves, when diverter is set in
shower position a trickle of water runs from
tub spout.

A design function of this valve is to allow
a trickle of water from the tub spout when
diverter is set for shower position, This trickle of
water is necessary to ensure safe operation in
that the valve will be shut off at main handle
and NOT with diverter handle.

Hi. All parts and washes have been replaced. This definitely stopped the drip drip drip that was happening constantly. Now, instead of a steady drip, there's a periodic dump of about a cup of water. The first one happens about a minute after I turn off the shower.

There is no tub. The diverter to the jets is turned off. That's a different mechanism than the temptrol assembly. The diverter to the hand held shower is also off. That is also external to the temptrol assembly, that part is on the neck of the shower head.

If I put the diverter to the hand held, it would drip from the hand held periodically instead.

I don't think I had this dump of water drip problem before; that's a good question. It may have been there, there was so much water coming out for so long I have no idea; but it definitely didn't happen for 2 months after all the parts were changed out. It just started.

If it's just started, it could possibly that there was debris left after refit or you have got grit in the water. Which is causing this dump of water, by affecting an internal component. Worth giving it a little internal inspection and clean out.

Sponsored Links
Did you use genuine Temporal replacement parts?

SYM-TA-10-2.jpg

Over here we use unvented hot water cylinders that could cause the problems your having, what set up do you have for heating your hot water and any idea what the cold water pressure is?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back