Please Help Someone?? :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have recently changed my gas onto a meter to monitor my bills as they seem really high considering the size of my flat.

When the gas man came round he said my pressure (black hand) was sitting at zero for pressure and marker at 1.5 (red hand). He changed the pressure to 1 or so with the black hand and said all was fine. However a couple of weeks later, I went to put my card in today and for some reason the black hand is back at zero.

Can someone please explain (bearing in mind I don't really know much about these kind of things) the difference this makes and should I attempt to change to pressure from zero again? Additionally would this have any affect on my bills?

Any help would be very grateful :) :)

Sponsored Links
Is this black hand and red hand on your boiler?

I very much doubt his gauge is on your gas supply

Are you saying you didn't have a gas meter before

The meter the guy installed was a pre-pay meter rather than standard direct debit for payment and the little thermostat is connected to the boiler.

I tried looking this up online and found out the red hand is a marker and the other to do with pressure I think but I am not too sure :s

Sponsored Links
Switch back to a contract meter you are paying 20-30 p a day even if you don't use any gas. They are a rip off.

You are completely confused the black and red hand dial as you call it are telling you the water pressure in your system they have absolutely nothing to do with your gas meter whether it be credit or pre pay, all the guy has done when he exchanged the meter is re-pressurise your boiler when re lighting your appliance, you need to repressurise your boiler , you will get information how to do this on the wiki on here

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back