Please help

Sponsored Links
This threads going nowhere, it appears you have insulation (not spray foam) that has been rammed into a gap that has defied roofers and your children's attempts to remove it. Therefore you will need to reduce the moisture content and or increase the ventilation in the loft.

sdf.jpg

Dunno, until the condensation is eliminated! Another couple each side? How high up the pitch are they? They should be as low as possible.

Sponsored Links
thanks they are low, about a quarter of the way up. I have ordered a humidity monitor so i can monitor just how much moisture we as a family are creating. Also the fans in the bathrooms have just been fitted so i need to see if they are going to make a difference. I guess i will just have to see how it goes
Thanks for your help guys

i now have 3 layers of insulation. The problem is that is is so thick that the bottom layers are just not getting chance to dry out so they permanently wet/damp.
Sharon
It`s got to come out to allow the ceiling to dry :cry: . It`s strange that the first layer is fixed :confused: but I have an idea :idea: It might just be that there is an old ceiling heating mat fitted years ago , maybe even when the house was built - incorporating a layer of insulation and a plastic sheet with the wires in - It`s a long shot , but some houses ,( in the public sector) were fitted with this ridiculous " heating " . It kinda explains the amount of water - you have in effect a vapour barrier , the wrong side of the plasterboard cieling - maybe . It`s got to be worth a look under the insulation , right down to the plasterboard

thanks Nige
The builder looked under the insulation and showed me just how wet the first layer is hence the yellow stains on the ceiling. I am going to remove the top layer this weekend and just leave the 2 layers there. It's got to be a couple of feet of insulation up there, you have to fight with it to find the beams
Sharon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back