Plinth heater woes

Sponsored Links
Its quite possible the blockage is close to the heater.

You might be able to poke the blockage out with one of the drain cleaners, there are two types, one a softer coiled one and the other more rigid type made from a metal strip of about 6 mm x 1 mm. The latter is better.

Without either type a piece of spiral curtain wire as used for net curtains can be tried.

But if trying a poke be prepared to close it off should the flow recommence!

Tony

Well it's the flexi, totally blocked with large rust fragments/rusty water. The only way I'll even stand a chance of unblocking it is to totally drain down the CH and remove the flexi connector. I'll have to give that a go some time. I just hope none of the copper pipe is also blocked

Now you seem to be saying there is a flexi connector which you think is blocked.

So why did you not just remove that flexi in the first place and see if the pipe flows as expected?

Tony

Sponsored Links
There are always flexis on Kickspace heaters, you could never get the plinth back otherwise. And it is always the hoses that block.

The manufacturer usually wants the isolation valves between the rigid pipework and the flexi.

Nb: the isol valves should be full bore 15mm, not the restrictive type.

Well it's the flexi, totally blocked with large rust fragments/rusty water. The only way I'll even stand a chance of unblocking it is to totally drain down the CH and remove the flexi connector. I'll have to give that a go some time. I just hope none of the copper pipe is also blocked
I told you in my previous quote what you need to do. If you do manage to unblock them they will block up again. Rapidly.

As Simon says, there is normally an isolating valve on the system side of the flexis.

You found one flexi blocked.

But why did you not check/test the return flexi?

Tony

The only option you have will be to bung the F&E tank in the loft and then remove the blocked flexi and replace.

Ideally you would use a full bore ISO, as Simon says, and then use a large bore flexi pipe to reduce the risk of it blocking again. If you use a flexi with a built in ISO, chances are it will be small bore increasing the risk of it blocking again.

I've been looking for a suitable replacement hose on Screwfix and I read that not all are suitable for heating so at the moment I'm unsure as to which to get

I've been looking for a suitable replacement hose on Screwfix and I read that not all are suitable for heating so at the moment I'm unsure as to which to get
Temperatures to which the flexi can withstand being key..
Flexis used for LTHW/heating services are more expensive.

It's the return flexi that's blocked, the feed is fine

As Simon says, there is normally an isolating valve on the system side of the flexi.

But why did you not try to unblock the the return flexi?

Tony

It's the return flexi that's blocked, the feed is fine

As Simon says, there is normally an isolating valve on the system side of the flexi.

But why did you not try to unblock the the return flexi?

Tony

I've tried to unblock it in situ but failed. Next step (probably over the weekend when I have more time) is to plug the F&E and remove the flexi and attempt to unblock it without damaging the rubber inner. I was just looking for a replacement in case I can't unblock it or do damage it

If this is a Smith's heater you'd be well worth contacting them for advice / to buy replacement hoses. I'm not sure about the spares backup for the Myson ones.

Is there no isolating valve at the end of the rigid pipework before the flexi?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back