Plug-in RCD on extension lead?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have several appliances in the kitchen plugged into an extension strip - microwave, radio and coffee machine. The circuit doesn't have an RCD at the moment (to be upgraded next year, finances permitting) but I'm wary of not having protection here. Is there such a thing as an extension lead with an RCD already fitted? Any recommendations? If I plug the extension lead into a plug-in RCD pro tem, will all the appliances be protected?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone. I have those brown B&Q ones at the moment - they get slightly warm all the time, is that normal? The image sent by Impudence is a bit of an eye-opener. Seems it's not just me who doesn't have built-in RCDs at the moment (except for the shower circuit, which was fitted separately via Henleys). I wanted to find a conventional strip-type one and there seem to be quite a few. Does anyone know if any of the sheds stock those (not the reel type ones that are really for gardens - got one already). (Apologies to BAN for the question1)

Note plug in type be it as well as plug or part of plug come in two types the Active or Non-Latching Operation and Passive or Latching. In the main they are Active or Non-Latching which means on a power cut they need resetting clearly a problem with likes of fridge. The idea is if the volt drop means the RCD would not work it fails safe. At the consumer unit volt drop is not a problem so we use Passive or Latching at consumer unit.

Any item with a fuse will get warm it's how a fuse works.

Note plug in type be it as well as plug or part of plug come in two types the Active or Non-Latching Operation and Passive or Latching. In the main they are Active or Non-Latching which means on a power cut they need resetting clearly a problem with likes of fridge.
True, but I don't really see that as an issue with the OP's stated loads - a microwave, a radio and a coffee machine.

Whether it is desirable to run a microwave and coffe machine off an extension lead is perhaps a different matter.

Kind Regards, John

It had occured to me that those two appliances produce heat but would they constitute a hazard? The microwave is never on for more than a few minutes and the coffee machine is off most of the time. I'll get my OWL monitor fired up and see what the increase is in usage with them both on. Doubt if it will be anything like 13 amps.
The engineer who fitted my broadband modem and router a few years ago saw that I was using an extension lead for some of my computer stuff and was happy to plug in the two new bits of technology UNTIL he saw that I had another lead plugged into one of the extension sockets (feeding the computer and printer). He said that he couldn't leave it like that, even though the loads were minuscule. That's what made me a bit wary of these leads. I got an electrician to make the single socket into a double a few days later but in the meantime he simply unplugged the extra lead and 'advised' me not to do that. I had to sign a chit to confirm the advice I'd been given, so they obviously take these things seriously.

It had occured to me that those two appliances produce heat but would they constitute a hazard? The microwave is never on for more than a few minutes and the coffee machine is off most of the time. I'll get my OWL monitor fired up and see what the increase is in usage with them both on. Doubt if it will be anything like 13 amps.
You could be right. You certainly want to stay within the 13A (total) limit, although I accept that neither of those items will be on for long periods, and rarely simultaneously.
The engineer who fitted my broadband modem and router a few years ago saw that I was using an extension lead for some of my computer stuff and was happy to plug in the two new bits of technology UNTIL he saw that I had another lead plugged into one of the extension sockets (feeding the computer and printer). He said that he couldn't leave it like that, even though the loads were minuscule. That's what made me a bit wary of these leads.
Given that we are presumably talking about very low loads, I would personally say that was a bit 'over-cautious' - I can't see any real problem.

Kind Regards, John

Those type of leads are rarely more than a couple of metres long, so extremely unlikely to create loop impedance or volt drop problems.

So as long as they are properly made, and can support 13A through their plug and flex, and 13A out of any of their outlets, without getting into distress (and if they can't they shouldn't be used in the first place) then there's no problem at all, as there's a plug with a 13A fuse at the start of the chain.

I can't see any real problem.
That's because there aren't any real ones, only imaginary.

I don't think he was being overcautious, I think he was being ignorant and/or superstitious. "He said that he couldn't leave it like that" - why do companies employ people who don't know what they are doing? :evil:

The installer said that they had been told to avoid extension leads but could plug modems and routers into them if there was no alternative. He also explained that they had been told not to install into daisy-chained leads and to warn customers that these could be dangerous and a trip hazard.

The installer said that they had been told to avoid extension leads but could plug modems and routers into them if there was no alternative.
Does the physics change if there is an alternative?

He also explained that they had been told not to install into daisy-chained leads and to warn customers that these could be dangerous and a trip hazard.
I once tripped on a single lead.

At least he is obedient; saves having to think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back