Plumber damaged boiler exterior, what do do?

Boiler has been in the house 6 years and the flap used repeatedly to change timer, check pressure, refill as needed.

No reason for it to break the first time someone else uses it unless, they were heavy handed or it's a massive coincidence.

I think he probably broke it when removing the boiler cover.

I see there's a few differences of opinion here, and trying to get a new boiler out of them is a bit extreme but if a decorator dropped a tin of paint on my carpet I would expect it to be cleaned or replaced. Why shouldn't I think the same about my boiler?

I have contacted Bosch customer support to ask about the availablity and cost of a new flap.

Sponsored Links
You still aren't accepting the point in that the flap is there to be pulled around, but paint shouldn't be applied to your carpet. One is bad luck and the other is carelessness (unless the paint tin handle falls off - and I've known that to happen).

Joe you are a complete idiot most of the time.

If they broke they should replace it.

You'd have a job proving it , but send them a bill for a new boiler as the part is unavailable.

Damage to boiler casing following the engineers visit. £900.00

You are joking Dia aren't you :eek:

No, I wasn't.

BG could get one a lot easier than the OP, so why not give them a nudge. Whats it gonna cost a tenner at the most, and WB are likely to send them one for nothing anyway.

Sponsored Links
Like it :LOL:

The point is BG sometimes need a little push before they get serious.

Putting in a big claim nearly always works.

They probably got hundreds kicking around the store anyway.

I visit a few boilers and i know that there are certain models whith very poor quality plastic which is liable to snap when I touch it.

I can logically only go to those boilers at the customer's own risk.

Knobs on Halsteads, Lineas, Profiles for example.

But that would need to be in the T&Cs.

And as I suggested, the custard would have to make a claim for whatever got broken, damaged or wrecked.

On the other hand making a small claims for £10, would get laughed out of Court so you need to make it substantial, part not available, new boiler for example.

Thanks to all for their input and the varying points of view.

Interesting that some people seem to think that it's my responsibility... bascially does that mean that when you visit customers you are not accountable for any damage you do?

Bosch have got back to me this afternoon, part number is 87161165050 and it's £29.61 plus VAT.

It's not the normal function to put black sludge upon the carpet - so it's the guy who did its fault.
Its not the normal function of the cover to snap, however, is it.

I dont know how old the boiler is, or where it is. If its years old thats diffrent, but assuming its no more than 5-6years old, I would atleast expect and apology and nod towards the cost of a new flap.

Also if its visable, in a kitchen or living space, thats a bit diffrent too.

Daniel

It's not the normal function for gate valves to snap either but we all know they do. I agree that he should have been up front about it though, and if he was clumsy to at least go halves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back