Plumber damaged boiler exterior, what do do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Can anyone advise of a part number or availablity of a control panel flap for a Greenstar CDI 28 boiler? I've looked at the installation manual and can't find a part number.

Our boiler is covered by Corgi Homeplan, and we required a repair, which was done but in the process the engineer snapped the hinge on the control pannel flap and just left the flap on the side in the utility room.

It was my g/f that let the engineer in, and so it was only that evening when I got home that I noticed the flap was off - because one of the hinges had been snapped.

I rang Corgi Homeplan back to report the damage and request it fixed.

Engineer came out again and claimed not to recall doing that, but advised the g/f that he would 'see what he could do'.

That was a couple of weeks ago but I hadn't heard anything futher. Gave Corgi Homeplan a call back and they advised that their records show that “Engineer disputes that they damaged said part, but will try to rectify but part currently unavailable”.

I appreciate that some people might think I’m being petty, and that the control flap has no bearing on the operation of the actual boiler, however personally I think that given that the engineer broke it I should not have to live with it just because it’s minor.

My concern is now they're just going to come back and say the part is unavailable. If so, what can I do?

Sponsored Links
But it may not be his fault. Flaps are designed to be moved. If the plastic is old and jammed and cracks when moved then who's fault is that?

It's a bit like turning a gate valve when the shaft breaks, or pulling a door handle off the door etc.

It's just one of those things.

But it may not be his fault. Flaps are designed to be moved. If the plastic is old and jammed and cracks when moved then who's fault is that?

It's a bit like turning a gate valve when the shaft breaks, or pulling a door handle off the door etc.

Diagree. We've opened an closed the flap a dozen times in the past month to refill the boiler when the pressure dropped before they came out to fix it without any problem with the flap.

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

Diagree. We've opened an closed the flap a dozen times in the past month to refill the boiler when the pressure dropped before they came out to fix it without any problem with the flap.

That proves it then - you've overused it and created a stress fracture. You'll never prove it wasn't already cracked. Just look for a new one or repair the old one..

That proves it then- you've overused it and created a stress fracture. You'll never prove it wasn't already cracked. Just look for a new one or repair the old one..[/quote]

Such a troll... find something more constructive to do.

Joe you are a complete idiot most of the time.

If they broke they should replace it.

You'd have a job proving it , but send them a bill for a new boiler as the part is unavailable.

Damage to boiler casing following the engineers visit. £900.00

Andy mate - that's the real world. Get over it. You won't get a new boiler.
If an item breaks during its normal function then the user is not to blame. That's the law. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not true.

If you order a taxi and the handle breaks when you open the door - then who is to blame? You? That's what you are saying about the boiler flap.

And if the engineer ruins the custards best carpet with black sludge.

Who's problem is that and whats the difference.

It's not the normal function to put black sludge upon the carpet - so it's the guy who did its fault.

A couple of weeks ago I pulled the knob to switch the washing machine on - and it snapped off into my hand. If I had seen a service engineer do that - would I blame him? No, because the knob was there to be pulled as part of its normal function - just like that flap. Not worth arguing about. Just fix it.

No one is suggesting he did it on purpose it happens, no different to the black sludge, but they are more likely to get a replacement than the custard

I agree. The probability is that he just yanked it down and it jammed and broke, but I don't think he's likely to prove it. Best to try a tack that doesn't come on too strong so that they feel obligated to help.

Quite a lot of the control flaps, panels and cases can only be described
as cheap tatt. That will break as soon as you look at them.

Wouldn't worry about it. As long as the boiler is working.

Joe you are a complete idiot most of the time.

If they broke they should replace it.

You'd have a job proving it , but send them a bill for a new boiler as the part is unavailable.

Damage to boiler casing following the engineers visit. £900.00

You are joking Dia aren't you :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back