plumber vs plumber advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The overflow pipe from the tank in the loft is leaking - a lot. My property has been emply for the past three months while I've had a new kitchen and bathroom put in. During this period the central heating, hot water and electricity have all been shut off. The water stop cock has also been shut off. After the builders left I turned the water on and the overflow started to drip at an alarming rate. This morning I had the builder and his plumber back in and they replaced the ball cock in the tank in the loft. This did not stop the overflow from dripping so the plumber said I needed a new hot water tank which would cost me £350 fitted. I had a second plumber in this afternoon and he said the ball cock was set too high. He readjusted the arm and took £10 and left. The overflow is still leaking. What can possibly be wrong?

Sponsored Links
Can you look at the tank and take a photo and post it here?

I would guess the ball valve is still not correctly set.

Tony

have you got a mixer shower, or a mixer sink tap? Are either of them the ceramic sort with a joystick?

Oh dear, :eek:

Either the mixer tap or the shower is letting by. whichever is mains cold and tank hot, possibly the kitchen.

You now need to get your money back for the un-necessary work, so if you haven't paid don't.

Sponsored Links
You haven't said if its the f&e tank or cold storage tank. If it's the f&e overflowing it could be the coil in the cylinder has gone and if the cold tank is higher this can cause backfilling. It's probably a mixer tap if it's the cold storage tank overflowing. Just another thought. . . .

New kitchen and bathroom, I'll put money on it being a mixer tap, and even money its the kitchen :LOL:

John, surely the open ended spout on the kitchen tap will not allow higher mains cold water from flowing up the hot water pipe, through cylinder into CWC? My money would be on the shower mixer in the bathroom. Been there and fixed it a few times and have teeshirts too.

could the overflow in the tank be an upstand overflow, used to fit them years ago where the tank connector is fitted in the base of the tank and the upstand could be removed to drain the tank, a long shot but possible that the upstand pipe is loose and leaking

you may well be right, but joystick taps are funny things.

could the overflow in the tank be an upstand overflow, used to fit them years ago where the tank connector is fitted in the base of the tank and the upstand could be removed to drain the tank, a long shot but possible that the upstand pipe is loose and leaking

Easy way to tell is to disconnect the overflow from the tank bend at the bottom of the tank :idea:

John, surely the open ended spout on the kitchen tap will not allow higher mains cold water from flowing up the hot water pipe, through cylinder into CWC? My money would be on the shower mixer in the bathroom. Been there and fixed it a few times and have teeshirts too.

European taps Danny, they mix in the body and not in the spout, you need single check valves on the tails.

It's simple to check which taps have mains cold and which has tank cold.

As I said new taps new problem place your bets now :LOL:

Thank you, thank you, thank you. There is a new mixer tap in the bathroom sink. It has a swivel handle with spout. A replacement electric shower was fitted but at the opposite (and more ergonomic end of the bathtub) which required some rewiring. I think the new bath taps might be mixer taps as well. I'm not living in the house at the moment - and that's why everything is turned off, ie electrics, water, c/h. I don't know why my builder didn't suggest these solutions? I will read out your suggestions tomorrow morning to him and see what he says.

Suspect any tap that has a mains cold, if the bath is tank cold forget it.

The shower won't be a problem.

Assuming you have isolation valves on all the outlets you can turn the cold off in each case and test one at a time until you find the culprit.

Also answers to your questions. Tony - there is a small tank in front of the larger tank - photo impossible - as the tanks are contained on a small platform above the stairs to the loft conversion - accessible through a hole in the wall and just below the roof. John D - the new bathroom mixer sink tap is a joystick - but ceramic what? Tap? Dangermouse - what is an F & E? Kirkgas - the house is 40+ years old but the tanks look newish. I've owned the house since 2002. The electricity is shut off at the mains so I don't understand how hot water could have anything to do with this.

You're missing the point Madrid.

It is the cold storage tank that's overflowing and not the smaller header tank ????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back