plumber vs plumber advice

It's fair to pay the plumber for changing the ball valve as this is the first port of call and by far the most common cause of overflowing. He took the first logical step to sorting it out. £50 MAX.

Sponsored Links
It's fair to pay the plumber for changing the ball valve as this is the first port of call and by far the most common cause of overflowing. He took the first logical step to sorting it out. £50 MAX.

I just have to disagree dangermouse :rolleyes: even an apprentice can visually see if a ballvalve is not shutting off, couple with the fact that new taps have been fitted, and they obviously don't know the regs or for that matter have a clue, I would maybe give him a tenner for the valve.

If the OP hadn't posted the question he would be looking at another £3-400 quid for a new cylinder as well and still not solved the problem.

Incompetence of the highest order.

So do I pay the original plumber for replacing the ball cock in the overflow tank? He hasn't given me a bill yet, but if he does...?

You at the very least pay him say £10 for the new valve which was probably well due for a change!

Whatever more you decide to pay him would be up to you. I have little sympathy for those without the basic plumbing skills needed for the job.

Part of the problem is that plumbing has been seen as something for those who are too thick to do proper jobs. Luckily thats all changing now and many of the second career plumbers have degrees. Its still not likely to be suggested by Uni careers advisors though.

Given that situation its not perhaps that surprising than many plumbers, whilst able to do basic pipework etc, have limited diagnostic skills and in your recent experience, limited understanding even of how basic plumbing works!

Tony

There is one possible complication, and that is if the plumber was called in by a third party to specifically change the valve.

Sponsored Links
So do I pay the original plumber for replacing the ball cock in the overflow tank? He hasn't given me a bill yet, but if he does...?

I see no evidence that the ball valve was not old, covered in scale, no longer of a type approved for the purpose, set too high, and probably leaking slightly as well. In those cases it wouldn't be unreasonable to change it and see what happened. Finding a tap which is "passing" can be difficult because it takes a lot of TIME for the tank to fill, and I'd want the ball valve out of the possibilities.

If your car doesn't reliably start, and the spark plugs are grotty, you have to pay for new ones to be fitted. If the critical problem llies elsewhere you don't get the money back for the sparkplug fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back