Plumbers and their methods

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a new central heating system installed recently i.e. new boiler, new megaflow tank, all new radiators and new flow and return pipes.

What I have found is that the existing underfloor pipes going from the old flow and return pipes to the individual radiators have not been replaced. I have bought this up a few times with the contractor and haven't had what I believe to be a satisfactory answer as yet. The replies so far were that:

1) They would be changing 90% of the pipes, just not the ones they could not get access to e.g. the ones in the wall

2) The old copper pipes are in good condition and do not need changing although some of the connections would be looked at

Is not changing these pipes normal?

What are the implications in the future of not changing these pipes?

Is this part of the job costly or time consuming or both and if so how much in time or money has the contractor saved himself by not doing this?

Personally I think if you are having a new system installed then everything should be changed, irrespective of its condition. What do others think?

Sponsored Links
Is this part of the job costly or time consuming or both and if so how much in time or money has the contractor saved himself by not doing this?
Hmm, maybe he's saving your money :confused:

As for the state of the pipes, it depends on their age and condition. Chopping out channels and replacing old with new obviously requires making good afterwards. It depends on how much disruption and re-decoration you expected to have. Presumably you discussed all this beforehand?

Personally I think if you are having a new system installed then everything should be changed, irrespective of its condition. What do others think?

The old copper pipes may well be a heavier grade and the modern replacement a lighter grade so you may likely be getting a worse deal and the installer can take the heavy stuff off to the scrapman for a princely sum.

I assume all your pipework is surface mounted as most people with buried pipework will not countenance the thought of ripping up floors.

Sponsored Links
You dont sound happy!

What did the written quotation say?

Its the words that count !

In the heating industry a "new heating installation" does not by custom and practice imply new pipework because as explained above copper pipes do not deteriorate significantly.

If you have any problem interpreting the quotation then copy it to here and we will comment on it.

Tony

In the heating industry a "new heating installation" does not by custom and practice imply new pipework because as explained above copper pipes do not deteriorate significantly.

If you have any problem interpreting the quotation then copy it to here and we will comment on it.

I'm sorry, Tony, but I thonk you are wrong. It may be often the case that old pipe is incorporated into a new system, but unless the quote specifies otherwise, "new installation" would imply all new pipes.

The old copper pipes may well be a heavier grade and the modern replacement a lighter grade so you may likely be getting a worse deal and the installer can take the heavy stuff off to the scrapman for a princely sum.

What planet are you from the cost of new copper is considerably more than you get for old in scrap regardless off wall thickness

What planet are you from the cost of new copper is considerably more than you get for old in scrap regardless off wall thickness

Same planet as you buddy. :rolleyes:
The point is you don't go tearing up floors and ripping out perfectly good copper.

And who says copper will be re installed?
Get a monkey like you along and it will probably be plastic. :rolleyes:
Muppet.

Same planet as you buddy. :rolleyes:
The point is you don't go tearing up floors and ripping out perfectly good copper.

And who says copper will be re installed?
Get a monkey like you along and it will probably be plastic. :rolleyes:
Muppet.

That doesn't make sense mate. You said he would get a bad deal removing the old copper because the installer would get a pricey some for the scrap.
No one with half a brain would repipe a system just for the scrap.
I wouldn't use plastic thanks if for no other reason it isn't cheaper than copper.

Maybe if that's not what you meant you wernt clear. My understanding of your first post was that the pipes should not be replaced because the new copper would be a worse deal for him because of the value of new and old copper.

In reality the cost of the materials is not the important cost more likely the labour will be considerably more

Alright, alright, calm down, calm down, we don't know what the estimate actually said yet, lets wait for that rather than arguing about fiction...

From the op's other post/thread, it seems that he's already been stung by someone not very good and is naturally a little touchy about tradespersons now.

From the op's other post/thread, it seems that he's already been stung by someone not very good and is naturally a little touchy about tradespersons now.

I don't think I knew who he was at the time, but I stand by my comment on his other thresd

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back