Plumbing for a shower in a wetroom

BW2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m having a go at making a wetroom & have chosen Wedi base, floor & walls, and then going to tile it over. I’m doing the construction & getting a plumber to do the shower pipework, etc

When it comes to plumbing – I’m trying to get it clear in my mind first – as it affects what I do with the wall construction/access/piperuns, etc before he arrives.

Once it’s built, there’s very little chance at correcting any problems without hacking out pieces of the wall & redoing it, so I want to get it right.

It’ll be a pumped system with hot & cold coming in at the same pressure (both gravity fed from the house tank).

Question 1 – I’m hoping to use concealed taps/mixer. Are these more of a problem that the exposed on-the-wall ones for any problems, or when they eventually need to be repaired or replaced?

I obviously don’t want any leaks behind the scenes over the coming years.
Question 2 – is a single length of copper with no joins in the inaccessible places best? Or are there better solutions these days with the plastic pipes – got to be hot & cold & pressure pumped.

Question 3 – 15mm or 22mm for the shower? The plan is for the pump to be close to the tank, which is about 13m away from the shower.

Any thoughts or advice would be very welcome

Regards

Sponsored Links
I will only attempt to answer question 1.

Learning from my recent wet room installation; unless you have access to the back of the shower fitting i.e. false wall/removable panel, I would recommend surface fittings. Allow hot and cold tails you can work on for future changes, as the centres between h&c are always slightly different from different manufactures.

Fashions come and go and the fittings look tired after a while and parts become obsolete. When surface mounted, it's no problem to change at a later date.

Good point tryitandsee – something else to think about.

Is there any way I can allow for different distances between centres at a later date?

Are plastic pipes more able to be bent to a new position than copper, maybe??

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back