Plumbing Job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know if this is the best place to ask, but I've been asked for a quote to fit a kitchen sink a dishwasher and washing machine. I have to run the pipework for each one and drill holes in the wall for the waste. One thing they don't tell you at training college is how much to charge people so I've no idea what would be a fair quote. I was thinking around £250. Is that too high?
Cheers
Neil

Sponsored Links
is that taking old sink out ?
how long pipe runs ?
are they going to a gully or soil pipe ?

is that materials or labour only ?
how longs it going to take you ?
whats your normal day rate ?
is it local ?

so many things to take into acount we've not seen the job.

Pricing up jobs is one of the hardest things I've had to get to grips with. You will make mistakes so try to judge how long its going to take you. I found that when I undercharged people, it actually worked out ok cos they were all the more eager to recommend me and I picked up more work. I'd rather have that than leave em feeling they've been ripped off and spreading bad words about me.

I also used to give an estimate and say what time it was based on but also say that if I got through it quicker I would drop the price. People seemed to respect that. The job obviously then took just as long as I originally said.

Sponsored Links
I always give fixed prices.

But you have to consider the skill required and the time taken.

You have not given enough in formation. But that sounds like a 5 hour job to someone who is experienced.

Just because you may not be experienced does not mean that you should charge more because you are slow!

I would say about £130 inclusive. The Polish would do it for about £70-£120

Tony

There's about 3 metres of waste to be attached to a soil pipe and about 2 metres of copper or plastic pipe to branch off from the cold water for the dishwasher and washing machine. It's a house renovation so there's nothing there except pipework to the sink so I have to drill through to the outside to attach to soil pipe but there's a staircase directly outside as they have a low level garden accessed from the basement so I have to make a hole in the staircase as well and run the pipe underneath it. The washing machine is in the basement and I have to make a hole in the wall there as well and then route the pipe round the staircase frame as there isn't enough room to lay it straight. £250 was going to be an all inclusive quote.
Thanks for the replies so far

Well if its a bit more complicated then perhaps 7 hours and the cost from £120-£180 ?

Remember the employed wage for a qualified plumber is about £12 an hour! Polish £6 !

Tony

you charge what you think is right, its up to you how much you want to earn in a day. you can always drop the price but you cant put it up.

Imagine going self-employed as a CC/CCC Plumber in the worst recession in the last 70 years, with no qualifications, no experience, no money & no idea!!!

If you read a forum full of CC/CCCs it contains pearls of wisdom as detailed above............. :LOL: :LOL:

There are cowboys among the guys who've been doing it for years as well as among newer entrants to the trade. Most of us are decent, honest and hardworking. Which are you?...................I'm a time served Master Plumber & CEO of a large Plumbing & HVAC group of companies and I learned more in a year about this trade, than you will in a lifetime!! Also, I'm the guy that's standing right behind you in the Q at the Plumbers merchants, when you are asking the counter rat how to fix something or asking for a thigmabober to go into the whatchacallit!!......... :LOL: :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL:

CC = Course Cowboy
CCC = Career Change Chancer
CPS = Cowboy in Polo Shirt (1 of the 7000? BG chancers)

All common trade terms coined by my goodself.

where are you on the list ? dreamer isn't listed.
ROFL.gif

So you're saying that I can't have a career change Dickpuller? I am qualified - only city & guilds level 2 so I don't touch heating. I suppose you were born knowing how to fit a bathroom or fix a boiler? Most people on this forum are really helpful. I suggest you clean up your act.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back