Pocket Hole Jig Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning,

I am attempting to use a pocket hole jig for the first time to put together a workbench in my garage. I'm working with 38mm CLS and picked up this jig from Amazon.

I believe I've followed the instructions, in the first photo below you can see I've positioned the slider to align with the 38mm marking and it also shows I've secured the drill bit collar so that the step on the drill aligns also with the 38mm marking on the depth gauge.

My issue is that the drill bit is stopping about 20mm from the end of the timber. I've tried to capture this in the second photo.

I confess I didn't follow the instructions to begin with, but after reading them this appears to be exactly what they ask you do to. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Pocket-1.JPG

Pocket-2.JPG

Sponsored Links
The amazon video , is the same as the first video here

watched 2 different videos now on how to set the drill

One says use the mark at the drill where the cut step would go
which is what amazon instructions say
  • Simply set the step drill in the recess and adjust so the step of the bit, is to the corresponding line.

the other to the TIP

either one is not going to gain the 20mm

in order for the tip to just be at the end of the timber - What setting do you have to have the blue bit set to on the notch

i have the kreg pocket hole jig -
and purchased a single trend from toolstation , cheaper to get then a replacement drill - which i mucked up

Last edited:
In the second video at 3.38 onwards, after he's set it up for 1.5" (38mm) you can see it's not gone the full depth of the timber.

Sponsored Links
in order for the tip to just be at the end of the timber - What setting do you have to have the blue bit set to on the notch
I have the blue bit set to the 38mm notch, and also had the step on the drillbit sitting at 38mm when tightening the collar which is what the Amazon and written instructions say.

Perhaps I've wrongly assumed that the drill bit will run to the end of the timber. I'm working with some scraps so I'll see how they attach in it's current setup with the recommended screws.

I have the blue bit set to the 38mm notch, and also had the step on the drillbit sitting at 38mm when tightening the collar which is what the Amazon and written instructions say.
Yep , i saw that

I meant move the blue bit until the drill tip is at the end of the wood - whats the setting on the blue bit now

Perhaps I've wrongly assumed that the drill bit will run to the end of the timber.
Yes, thats what i would expect
My jigs trend & Kreg - if i remember correctly do break the tip out the end
Otherwise you are screwing both bits of wood - the pocket hole 20mm and the bit joining onto
i'll take a look later if i get a chance

If you drill too close to the end of the timber, the screw will pull through.

You might find pocket hole joints on the weak side for a workbench, I would use heavy angle brackets at corners.

i have pulled out my Kreg and Trend pocket hole jigs and set both up for the 38mm setting and they re the about the same distance from the end of the material as yours is showing

On 18mm its much nearer , which i'm used to using

on the Kreg - it has making actually on the drill where to put the clamp
on the trend works the same as yours pretty much

the head off the washered screw head is the drill size so the only support is whats left for the screw to grip before the point is countersunk to give the thread a clear path to grip the other section so tip just breaks the surface by no more than 1-3mm max

just to show some pictures following the instructions on setting up pocket hole and images
i will do 2 posts one for trend and one for kreg

this is the kreg

Attachments

• IMG_0769.jpeg
    IMG_0769.jpeg
    443.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0768.jpeg
    IMG_0768.jpeg
    379.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0767.jpeg
    IMG_0767.jpeg
    357.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0765.jpeg
    IMG_0765.jpeg
    355.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
this is the trend

Attachments

• IMG_0775.jpeg
    IMG_0775.jpeg
    462.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0774.jpeg
    IMG_0774.jpeg
    436.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0771.jpeg
    IMG_0771.jpeg
    422.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0770.jpeg
    IMG_0770.jpeg
    380.4 KB · Views: 18
just to show some pictures following the instructions on setting up pocket hole and images
i will do 2 posts one for trend and one for kreg

this is the kreg
This is super helpful, thank you!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back