Poll - Ring final circuits with high integrity earthing

Do you agree, or not, that the below would be compliant as a high integrity earthing system?

• Total voters
That's what I thought so there is an element of shock prevention as well.

So, if one of the connections comes away, a loose end could present a risk no matter how many cpcs there were.

It would be better still, then, if, as well as the separate connections at each socket, the two ends of the cpc were also connected together permanently by a joined link.

Sponsored Links
That's what I thought so there is an element of shock prevention as well.
I don't know about "an element of" that. I think it is all about shock prevention.
So, if one of the connections comes away, a loose end could present a risk no matter how many cpcs there were.
No, not if there is CPC 'redundancy' (i.e. more than one path to earth, connected to a different terminals), as in a ring - that's the whole point.
It would be better still, then, if, as well as the separate connections at each socket, the two ends of the cpc were also connected together permanently by a joined link.
Sure, but that would not be easy to implement, without Y-crimps (or something like it), or 'yet more' screwed connections.

Kind Regards, John

No, not if there is CPC 'redundancy' (i.e. more than one path to earth, connected to a different terminals), as in a ring - that's the whole point.
Yes, silly me - forgetting about all the other connections.

Sure, but that would not be easy to implement, without Y-crimps (or something like it), or 'yet more' screwed connections.
Twisting?

High integrity Ring Circuits , 6 terminal sockets (made by RRP for CEF in the 80's ) fantastic idea, yes, until you have a spur !
I think this will become a reality when we reach the 18th :D

DS

Sponsored Links
Yes, silly me - forgetting about all the other connections.
It's very easy to forget things in this discussion :)
Twisting?
I suppose that would be 'a lot better than nothing', provided that it did not in any way compromise the connections, or the maintenance of the connections, to the 'protective conductors proper'.

Kind Regards, John

That was my first reaction - but that's what most sockets I buy today have - but it sounded as if DS was talking about something 'special'!
OOI what sockets do you buy? I only really ever use 3 brands, and they all have one L+N and 2 Earth (of which, I only ever use one)

High integrity Ring Circuits , 6 terminal sockets (made by RRP for CEF in the 80's ) fantastic idea, yes, until you have a spur !
I think this will become a reality when we reach the 18th :D

DS

with the fire brigade blaming screw terminals for fires, I reckon push in terminals will be the way forward

The HI versions having 5 earth terminals :D

That was my first reaction - but that's what most sockets I buy today have - but it sounded as if DS was talking about something 'special'!
OOI what sockets do you buy? I only really ever use 3 brands, and they all have one L+N and 2 Earth (of which, I only ever use one)
Oh sorry - I didn't read, think or write carefully enough! What I should have said was that most sockets I buy have 2 earth terminals (since that's what's relevant to this discussion) - but, as you say, they only have one L and one N. It's years since I saw one of these offered for sale (although I still have a few tucked away):
However, although they're nice to install, I'm not so sure about them safety-wise - at least in a ring final. With a ring final, if one of the L's or N's come's adrift, the user will be none the wiser (everything will still 'work' - unless the 'adrift conductor' touches something it shouldn't!), but the circuit's cable could get overloaded.

Kind Regards, John

with the fire brigade blaming screw terminals for fires, I reckon push in terminals will be the way forward
It wouldn't surprise me, lots of light fittings already have them, I assume there is a reason nobody already makes them.

However, although they're nice to install, I'm not so sure about them safety-wise - at least in a ring final. With a ring final, if one of the L's or N's come's adrift, the user will be none the wiser (everything will still 'work' - unless the 'adrift conductor' touches something it shouldn't!), but the circuit's cable could get overloaded
That's how I feel about ring finals regardless of how they're terminated in the socket outlets

However, although they're nice to install, I'm not so sure about them safety-wise - at least in a ring final. With a ring final, if one of the L's or N's come's adrift, the user will be none the wiser (everything will still 'work' - unless the 'adrift conductor' touches something it shouldn't!), but the circuit's cable could get overloaded
That's how I feel about ring finals regardless of how they're terminated in the socket outlets
Yes, I realise that is one of the downsides of ring finals. However, if one is going to have them, then those sockets with 2xLand 2xN terminals must increase the chances of a break in the L or N ring going unnoticed - so (unless there are compensating factors, which there might be) they must be, statistically speaking, 'less safe' than those with only one L and one N terminal (particularly if the two conductors are twisted together :) ).

Having said that, I seriously doubt whether a cable with a CCC of 20A would come to any harm, let alone cause a fire, if it were carrying 32A continuously (which is not going to happen in practice, anyway) - and if, as is more common, the cable has a CCC of 27A, then an 'overload' of 32A clearly isn't going to result in any catastrophes.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back