Pooling on flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Get one question answered on my flat roof then another one appears. Oh well.

When the roofer had started to re-felt with the sub layer the roofer had said that the boards were a bit springy and therefore I might get some pooling because of this. I said that we had never noticed water sitting on the roof before (though it had started to leak - but it was 18 years old). Was told that the water would have been there but probably because of the stone chippings which were on the roof we wouldn't have seen it.

Anyway have had a green mineral capping layer put down at the weekend (so no stone chippings), and after some serious rain last night I can see a rather large puddle of water.

To my untrained eye it looks like a lip has been formed on the edge - have tried to capture it in a photo but don't know if I have done it justice.

(clicking on the photo should link you into a total of 3)

Is this a plausible explanation that that much water could be made to disappear from view with stone chippings.

Also on my previous flat roof the sides of it had quite high slopes to prevent water dripping down onto the neighbours property (formed from triangular prism shaped pieces of wood). These have been replaced by a bigger lip. I am worried that when the wind blows the water will now just blow over onto my neighbours side. Again is this a normal way for the side of the roof to be finished off?

Advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

Sponsored Links
To my untrained eye that doesn't look great.

If the deck is sagging it may be the result of a leak/water damage. Maybe the sagging has been exacerbated by the weight of the roofers up there, hence more pooling now.

Did you see the deck before the felt was laid?

I replaced my deck and took the opportunity to add some kingspan insulation (it was a bit chilly in that room, now its lovely and warm)

With hindsight, if I had known the pooling would be this much, I would have changed the boards and had a decent run put on it. But I am sure the pooling is not helped by the pretty flashing round the edge - it just seems to create a natural lip where the water should drain off.

Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back