Poor Bathroom Installation Problems - What to do

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello am new to the forum and at my wits end with problems we have following a bathroom refurb. Basically moved bath to other end of room, swapping with basin. All new kit, loo in same position as previously. Used local showroom and their contract fitter (been with them for years). All seemed great before the work got under way. We are now left with:

1. Bath fitted with shallow seal waste trap even though it goes into the soli stack and shared waste (as it did previously) with basin. Get gurgling noises and the trap being siphoned when sink is run. Not all the time, but eventually starts to happen between baths/showers. Fitter is suggesting anti-vac trap on the semi ped basin (if it will fit!). Also suggesting in line AAV on the bath waster pipe where it run on the floor behind the (not yet fitted) panel. I'd rather he tried to get in deeper seal trap on the bath but don't think there is enough room. Where bath is now positioned I believe there is a joist right below the trap!

2. Also discovered that in order to hide the pipework he has run it beneath the floorboards. However this has meant he's had to drill about 3 joists for the 40mm bath waste to pass through on way to stack. The holes are not in the appropriate places according to regs. Also has notched same joists a little further over for the hot feed pipe (22mm) to come across the room (why he didn't take it from where the sink was god only knows! He did with the cold!). This is greatly worrying me as has he compromised the structure of the joists. They are 8 * 2's. Found couple of alarming things on kitchen ceiling below bathroom but may just be from the works when they were going on.

3. Fan fitted lets draughts into the room. It has flaps and I asked his electrician to remove ducting and show me - they were closed. so appear to be working. But we didn't then test them without the ducting on - stupid me! This is ducted out through north facing sofit.

Number of other niggles but these are major things. Biggest worry is the joists and what to do. Should I go to Building Control about this - would they be interested. The job was never registerd with them as it was just a refurb. Its all been paid for as well, so I have limited hold over shop/fitter. Clearly the siphoning is also a problem and he should not have used a 19mm seal trap going into the stack. Will just putting anti-vac on the basin work? Not sure I want the AAV on the floor waste run?

This is giving me sleepless nights/affecting my work - can someone help please. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
1. Can you elbow the outlet to the other side of the joist and fit an in-line (U shape) trap in the bath pipe as it traverses to join the sink pipe? This would be the best solution.

2. Better off posting in Building forum. Building control won't be interested in the joist, if they are, the first thing they'll do is send you a bill for a fee.

3. When you say 'duct' do you mean the cowl on the bathroom side? You should be able to see through the duct whilst it's in place, assuming it just goes straight through the wall.

simple air admittance valves inline with all the traps will prevent syphoning. "anti-vac traps" often do nothing, just use a 32mm AAV instead. These work brilliantly:
http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/424904/?source=123_75
http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/424903/?source=123_75

These have to be installed horizontally, so, on the pedestal, this might be better (it has an integrated one):
http://www.wickes.co.uk/anti-vac-straight-through-trap-x10v/invt/226981/

I cant understand why syphoning isn't considered in Britain, and why they don't install vents as they do in the US, oh well.
In an 8 inch joist, a 40mm round hole and 22mm notch is nothing to worry about, almost all houses will have this going on. You could always bolt/screw a length of 2x4 onto the side of each joist where the holes are drilled if you're concerned. That would be more than enough to compensate for the 40mm holes and notching

mfarrow - Thanks. regarding the duct, sorry I mean the ducting for the fan. Where it was pulled off the fax on the exit side for the air flow, this is where we could see the fan flaps, designed to prevent a backdraft when the fan is not running, were closed.

Tew1 - Thanks. is one of these in line AAVs OK to insert into the run of the 40mm bath waste under the bath. Not sure it can be connected to the bath trap as given way plumber has done pipework. Also as basin is a semi-ped probably no more room for an AAV there. Hence plumber's suggestion of anti-vac trap on the basin which he says is same size as 'normal' trap he's put on there.

Re the joists, I've read lots of things about how and where joists can be drilled etc, so that's why I have a massive worry about that and concerned now leaving it to chance. Some of what's been done can be seen by removing kitchen light fitting below. I may call out a structural engineer - I know this will cost. But if there is a suspected problem I'll need something from an 'expert' before I go after the plumber.

Sponsored Links
yes, you literally remove the 40mm waste from the trap, and slot in the AAV inline, as it drains, it allows air into the pipe, no more gurgling and sewer smells

Prefer HepvO traps myself.

Over time, I'm CERTAIN a HepvO trap will get a nice layer of dirt, grime and hair stuck all over the rubber flaps, and stop working, that or the rubber will perish with all the hot water, bleach e.t.c.

OK thanks so a basic AAV added in line should work. Without major pipework alterations, given the way the shallow P trap has been installed, I believe plumber will have to cut the waste under the bath (it runs under the bath length for a time) and insert the AAV into the waste run. I can't get the air valve any higher up it will just sit as it comes on the bath waste run.

For the basin, he reckons he can fit an anti-vac trap that is same as one he has on already, with exception it will have the anti-vac capability. Its a semi ped, so not a lot of room - will have to see.

Sorry can you please re-iterate your thoughts on the AAV going on bath and anti-vac trap on basin.

Am on hols shortly and have asked him to put off work until we get back.

Also had structural engineer round last night re the joists the plumber has notched and drilled!!

HepVo valve with a 90 deg knuckle adaptor.
Fit them wherever there is a problem, space as above, standard trap "pulling". compression, evaporation (unvented cylinder discharge) etc, etc.

Once you know what they can do, they are a great bit of kit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back