Poor Britain ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's as maybe. Still doesn't mean they are ALL heading here. More end up in Germany. Notchy needs to do better research.
No I dont.

I did not say more come here, I said many come here. if the Uk was such a carp place to come, none would come here.

Of course more go to Germany, its a larger country with a lower population per area.

Sponsored Links
This shows immigration per 1000 population, which is probably the metric that affects people most, as opposed to absolute numbers
https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/stati...p/Migration_and_migrant_population_statistics

The following EU countries have had (in 2016) more immigrants per 1000 people that the UK:
Greece
Belgium
Netherlands
Estonia
Germany
Denmark
Austria
Sweden
Ireland
Cyprus
Malta
Luxembourg

plus these non-EU took more per capita:
Norway
Switzerland

So, it's not like we are taking proportionally more than any other country.

So, it's not like we are taking proportionally more than any other country
Like I said if the UK is such a carp place to live we wouldnt be a destination at all.....

That link doesnt state how the figures are made up, is that EU free movement plus 3 country immigration?

Blair didnt restrict the movement of people in 2004 when the extra 10 countries joined the EU, restriction which quite a few other EU countries did impose. In the following 10 years a large number cam from those countries, which I dont have a problem with but it is one of the factors that explains the immigration concerns that exist now.

Sponsored Links
But the main question is, what is the problem? Unemployment is low (albeit thanks to zero hour contracts), immigrants are only here to work (although others will claim they are on benefits), and that means they help business, and pay taxes. It's a fact that immigration is good for our economy. The only jobs they take are the ones that other people don't want to do (farming, labouring), or can't do because they lack the skills (medicine, running many successful businesses etc.). Why do people think that immigrants are making the country worse? No need to answer, it's already been said ...

Yet GNI PPP per capita Ireland is still higher than the UK.

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GNP.PCAP.CD?year_high_desc=true
It all depends what part of the Irish Republic you live in.
The poorest counties in Ireland North and South are still in the Republic.
When you factor in the cost of living in S.Ireland you are still better off in the UK, If you don't have private health insurance it will cost you 90 Euros to see a doctor ,phone an ambulance make sure you have a credit card to pay for it, A&E departments charge around 100 Euros if you don't have an exemption card.
Also the Republic has a higher rate of taxation unless you are an American multi national of course.
To be fair to the Republic they have a better welfare system than the UK in some respects, unemployment benefit is double the UK rate and if you are earning low wages you can get exemption from medical charges, however when all other costs are taken into account the UK is still the best place to live.

But the main question is, what is the problem? Unemployment is low (albeit thanks to zero hour contracts), immigrants are only here to work (although others will claim they are on benefits), and that means they help business, and pay taxes. It's a fact that immigration is good for our economy. The only jobs they take are the ones that other people don't want to do (farming, labouring), or can't do because they lack the skills (medicine, running many successful businesses etc.). Why do people think that immigrants are making the country worse? No need to answer, it's already been said ...

So unemployment is low due to zero hours contracts (so not really as low as it appears) and you ask why people think immigrants are making the country worse.

>Unemployment is low because there are plenty of jobs

>Unemployment is high but more immigrants in the labour market isn't going to matter.

Choose one.

You still haven't explained why you believe that the average worker would be better off if the UK remained in the EU if as you claim that member states are free to dictate their own economic policy.
Why is your hero Jeremy Corbyn not a fan of the EU if it is such a great defender of workers rights.
Do please show us where I called Corbyn my 'hero'...

Oh that's right you can't...

The usual pathetic lies in lieu of a coherent argument :LOL:

But if you haven't noticed, the rights of the 'average worker' will be worse off because EU legislation transferred over will be subject to secondary legislation rules...

In other words those rights can be taken away at the stroke of a minister's pen with no parliamentary debate...

Look it up (if the big words dont scare you) - it's most enlightening ;)

Do please show us where I called Corbyn my 'hero'...

Oh that's right you can't...

The usual pathetic lies in lieu of a coherent argument :LOL:

But if you haven't noticed, the rights of the 'average worker' will be worse off because EU legislation transferred over will be subject to secondary legislation rules...

In other words those rights can be taken away at the stroke of a minister's pen with no parliamentary debate...

Look it up (if the big words dont scare you) - it's most enlightening ;)
What is your opinion of Jeremy Corbyn, would you like him to be PM or not.

What is your opinion of Jeremy Corbyn, would you like him to be PM or not.
Corbyn has some good ideas including those on education/re-nationalision/welfare/corporate tax etc...

But since I don't trust him on Europe as a whole, he would not be my choice for PM...
(Is that direct enough for you?)

Irrelevant really though, as were he to get into office any 'alternative' policies would as always be watered down by the 'vested interests'!

What I'd be looking for would be a change to the electoral system, but the UK electorate have been shown to be too thick to understand that to be a way forward so that's off the agenda!

Last edited:
Like I said if the UK is such a carp place to live we wouldnt be a destination at all.....

Not at all. The UK is a crap place to live. It's just less crap than the $hoite holes that the immigrants come from.

Plus we give them free money, homes, healthcare which we pay for by both screwing indigenous Brits with ever expanding high taxes and denying decent pensions and conditions for our own old people.

The only jobs they take are the ones that other people don't want to do (farming, labouring), or can't do because they lack the skills

Jon, go on any building site in London.
70 -,75% will be Eastern European.
Are you telling us that the British don't want to work in the building industry?

Jon, go on any building site in London.
70 -,75% will be Eastern European.
Are you telling us that the British don't want to work in the building industry?

Yes, the Brits want the jobs, but they can't afford to work in London for the wages on offer. Would anyone here work for the wages on offer and have the pleasure of living ten to a house to make it viable? It's not that the Brits don't want to do the jobs, but mass immigration has made it impossible. Only the employers and big business win. But that's why employers and big business support remaining.

Yes, the Brits want the jobs, but they can't afford to work in London for the wages on offer. Would anyone here work for the wages on offer and have the pleasure of living ten to a house to make it viable? It's not that the Brits don't want to do the jobs, but mass immigration has made it impossible. Only the employers and big business win. But that's why employers and big business support remaining.

The last time I was involved with site work, the lads plumbing were on £140 £150 a day if the were lucky....

You could say that's not bad for the good percentage that were not skilled tradesmen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back