Poor flow rate and 2 showers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I have been reading these forums for a while alot of useful information!

I am currently in the planning stage of a renovation of a Victorian house, I am going to convert the bathroom into 2 separate wetrooms which will have a shower, toilet and basin inside.

However, i currently have a Glow Worm Combi 24 cxi boiler and a mains water flow rate of 15lpm (I am unsure of the pressure), this is obviously not enough to power 2 showers simultaneously.

What are my options?
I have just had a quick browse of the Glow Worm Ultra Power 170, although I cant see a recommended minimum water flow rate. Is this suitable for my situation?

I have also had a look at a combi + unvented cylinder solution but these seem to require 20lpm minimum.

Is my only solution to dig up the lead pipe that goes from the pavement > under the house to the back garden > bathroom, which I presume will be fairly expensive.

Sponsored Links
If you have too many hot water outlets a combi will struggle to supply to the multi hot outlets with a poor flow rate and reduced hot water supply.
The best advice would be to convert to a cylinder storage system.

Sponsored Links
you have a Victorian house. Between the water main under the pavement, have you still got any sections of small bore lead pipes? Some of it will be
bent., kinked or squashed. Or maybe it has been replaced with half-inch or 15mm copper or steel.

Lay new 25mm plastic pipes and your flow will improve dramatically.

Fit 2 electric showers? They run off the main obviously don`t need combi. Not that expensive. Anyway since when did the Victorians have showers? Just lob an old tin bath in front of fire job done! :LOL:

you have a Victorian house. Between the water main under the pavement, have you still got any sections of small bore lead pipes? Some of it will be
bent., kinked or squashed. Or maybe it has been replaced with half-inch or 15mm copper or steel.

Lay new 25mm plastic pipes and your flow will improve dramatically.

I guess this may be the only option, does anyone know of any trenchless mains replacement companies in and around london? I have googled but the resulting companies do not have any reviews

Fit 2 electric showers? They run off the main obviously don`t need combi. Not that expensive. Anyway since when did the Victorians have showers? Just lob an old tin bath in front of fire job done! :LOL:

I think it will result in the same problem, I could replace the combi with a megaflo but the mains flow rate is rather low!
I suppose I could just stick a hole in the back garden aswell! haha

I have just read on the forum about an accumulator + unvented cylinder, this could be a cheaper option

Fit gravity cylinders and pump the showers even cheaper :D Fit electric showers with a pump supplied from tank in loft,easy peasy....How many options you need? :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back