Porch canopy construction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
image.jpeg
Hi all,

After having a quote of over £1000 to make a canopy for my porch I've decided to do it myself. I've got the canopy up but now need to tile it.

The roof can withstand weights of 50kg/m2, which small tiles would you recommend for this? Am I right in thinking I get a sheet of 9mm ply cut for attaching to the top of the purlins? I then batten on top of this and attach the tiles?

Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
Why not post a photo of the canopy you have fixed?
Or is the framework in the posted photo as far as you have got?
No purlins are evident?
Do you intend a fascia & guttering with a down pipe?
You will need flashing, and an end fill "panel" at the open RH side.
Felt goes under the battens.

You could match the tiles on your roof or more in keeping with the scale of the canopy - use 265mm x 165mm Rosemary clay tiles.

I've not fixed it all together yet as I'm waiting for the plasterer to render the front and replaster inside the porch. Just thinking ahead as I want to get it sorted before the autumn wind / rain comes.

Not having a gutter as the soffits protrude around 9 inches, I have the option to route one around the side of the house if needed but aesthetically I want to try and avoid it.

With a 20" soffit you will have to select tiles for their degree of pitch.

You do best to remove the frame before any rendering and re-fix on the render surface.

Are you going to have an open ceiling or closed?

Sponsored Links
Think I'm going to have an open ceiling.
I'm talking about the soffits on the main roof, it's an old house so they protrude markedly. The first foot outside the porch is always dry after a shower. The pitch on the canopy is 45 degrees

image.jpeg
Think I'm going to go with slates due to the lighter weight. I've got the rafters at 450mm centers, the board is 9mm ply. I've got the option of adding an extra rafter if necessary? Do you think it's needed?

No, the rafters are fine - screw everything.
I'm presuming felt then battens before tile.
You want to chase out for step flashing and cover flashings before going any further.
Are you having an undercloak and wet verge?

Fair enough - whatever you are satisfied with.

I'm still concerned about the proposed rendering - is that still on?

IMG_1822.JPG
Hi Vinn,

Yes it's all done (..nearly, just got the leadwork, wood staining and the tiled floor).

I went for plain clay tiles in the end, the slate looked ridiculous on such a small canopy. I went ahead with the KABE render, the brickwork was in too poor a condition unfortunately. I'm happy with the result and the rear of the property is due to be rendered when the extension is built so that should 'tie' it into the rest of the house.

All in all a quite enjoyable DIY job to do.

Thanks for letting us know how it went on. Well done, its a great looking job - very professional and cleanly detailed.

Thanks for letting us know how it went on. Well done, its a great looking job - very professional and cleanly detailed.
... and it'll put a smile on your face every time you come home! (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back