Porch Ideas/foundations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To build a porch, do you always need to dig down to the same depth as you would for an extension? Ie 1m in my case. Just wondered if there were other options like timber frame (I’m thinking those chunky beams for a frame like 6x6? Oak?) which may require less/different footings?
Sorry, bit of a general question as I’m in the very early stages of being hassled by the mrs about it. Any thoughts/ideas welcome!

Sponsored Links
If its not under building regs, you can do what you like.

The depth you should go to is enough to reach ground of suitable stability and load bearing capacity -it has more to do with the ground than the structure.

If you have decent ground you prob dont need to go too deep.

A timber structure is more flexible than a brick structure.....

Thanks, when you say not under building regs, plan is to knock it through to main hallway, ie not have a separating door. I guess that may mean I’ve called it a porch incorrectly, and I actually mean a very small front extension...

Thanks, when you say not under building regs, plan is to knock it through to main hallway, ie not have a separating door. I guess that may mean I’ve called it a porch incorrectly, and I actually mean a very small front extension...

In that case, go a metre deep or same as house. If you have nearby oaks or leylandii start mining.

Sponsored Links
See all those semis across the road? See those bays? Notice that cracking as the bay moves forward? Ever wondered why?

Try 700 mm if the ground is good, or whatever the house is if less.

Cheers for the replies, so even if I timber framed it, I’d still do same foundations and brickwork up to oversite level? Just wondered if I could do some kind of pad foundation but I’ve probably just randomly made that up.

Part of the foundation's job is to carry the load of the building, but another equally important job is to take that load down to stable ground.
So whilst lightweight buildings may not need deep foundations due to the weight, they may still need deep foundations to prevent everything from moving.

Pads are OK as a concept, but the thing is with pads is that any movement in the ground affects the individual pads differently. Ground will always move seasonally anyway, and there is a risk with pads and the building they support moving differentially unless this risk is catered for.

Typically a one-piece strip or a slab will be better for a small porch.

It's OK saying that a timber frame is more flexible than masonry, but the thing is, any flexing will still cause doors to bind, windows to jamb, glass to crack and joints to open just the same. A flexible frame is irrelevant to foundations, as the idea is to stop the frame/building moving in the first place.

Cool, thanks for that. I may ask more silly questions on it in the future, if it actually ever happens :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back