Posh Shed at the end of the Garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and new to the forum and looking for some advice.
I have a prefab office (posh shed) 10' x 8' being delivered and I'm looking at options for putting electrics in. (due to Part P, I'll need professional help but I would like to understand what I'll need.)

The building will be about 20m away (as the cable would run) and I have assumed that I would have a single supply to the shed and then have it broken out into a small ring main and a lighting main. So the theory goes like this:
From the main house consumer unit I would look to have a smaller unit, see:-

Volex Shower Unit 63A 30mA RCD 1x50A MCB
Link

From this unit I expect to run outside, down to the shed and into one of these

Volex IP55 Garage Unit 40A 30mA +1X6A 1X16A SP MCB
Link

But the temptation is to change the 1x16A for a 1x20A. (or should 16A be enough)
The shed will have a few PC's (4 x double 13A sockets) plus a 2KW oil heater.
The internal lighting will be a 1.5mm and mains would be 2.5mm

Is my thinking on the right lines ?
What sort of cabling would be required from the existing consumer unit to the "shower unit" and then what would be the best option for cabling running down to the shed? I have been looking at standard 25 or 40mm plastic condiut (underground not possible all the way) (condiut cable, armoured etc, size 4mm, 6mm )

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
due to Part P, I'll need professional help
No - you need to have it all done by a professional, or if you do some of the work you need to work under the supervision and direction of the professional who will be taking responsibility for the work.

You cannot come here, and get some ideas and advice, and then go off and do some or all of the work, and then expect an electrician to sign it off saying he did it all - it doesn't work like that.

but I would like to understand what I'll need.
Why, if you're getting an electrician to do the work?

From the main house consumer unit I would look to have a smaller unit, see:-

Volex Shower Unit 63A 30mA RCD 1x50A MCB
Link
Why on earth would you want a mini CU at the house, supplied from a CU, and taking a supply to a CU?

It's a good job you're going to be using an electrician...

From this unit I expect to run outside, down to the shed and into one of these
Why do you expect to run a cable outside if you're using an electrician?

Volex IP55 Garage Unit 40A 30mA +1X6A 1X16A SP MCB
Link
Your electrician may choose to supply one of those, or he may choose another make. He will not thank you for imposing a CU that he wouldn't have chosen, and if he makes some of his money by marking up materials etc then he'll just recoup it in increased labour charges and you'll pay more overall.

But the temptation is to change the 1x16A for a 1x20A. (or should 16A be enough)
No idea. Your electrician will ask you about your loadings in the office and be able to decide.

It does seem odd that if you were doing the work you'd have put in a 50A supply to the office when you're only going to use 22/26A...

The shed will have a few PC's (4 x double 13A sockets) plus a 2KW oil heater.
The internal lighting will be a 1.5mm and mains would be 2.5mm

Is my thinking on the right lines ?
Why does that matter if you're going to be using an electrician?

What sort of cabling would be required from the existing consumer unit to the "shower unit" and then what would be the best option for cabling running down to the shed?
Why do you need to know, if you're going to be using an electrician?

I have been looking at standard 25 or 40mm plastic condiut (underground not possible all the way) (condiut cable, armoured etc, size 4mm, 6mm )
Why have you been looking at things like that if you're going to be using an electrician?

Thanks in advance.
NP.

Seriously - I'm not taking the p***, but I fear you are.

If you plan on doing this yourself then please have the decency to tell the truth. The level of detail you're asking about in your questions do not make them look like ones that are just prompted by an academic interest in what your electrician would do....

Wow, came for advice, got one piece of help and the other a complete, "naughty child telling off" did expect that from reading previous questions.

As I said, I only want to understand what I need what work is required etc etc, I have no plans in doing the work but I'm not stupid enough to just except a quote. Doing a bit of homework to ensure I get what I'm paying for and not getting ripped off by some registered cowboy.

The wording of the post was NOT to imply I would be doing the work. And no I'm not taking the p***, just asking a few questions before bringing in the hired help.

Sponsored Links
BAS, is there any need for such an arrogant reply?

It's not for you to second guess what the OP is or isn't going to do.

Rather than going out of your way to be mean (and inaccurate) why don't you either keep quiet or offer help?

The OP can do whatever he likes. He can take advice if he chooses, ignore it if he chooses. It's not your place to say what he can or can not do.

And why shouldn't he be able to understand what the process involves. How would he know if the electrician was ripping him off, doing a poor job etc. unless he knows something about what to expect?

Poor bloke comes here for a bit of advice and he gets an hysterical tirade from you. No surprises there.

What a wonderful advert for this web site you are. NOT!

BAS, is there any need for such an arrogant reply?
I gave my opinion, and asked questions - I don't see where in doing so I displayed conceit, overbearing pride, or an exaggerated belief in my own importance.

It's not for you to second guess what the OP is or isn't going to do.
Second guess, or accurately interpret?

Rather than going out of your way to be mean (and inaccurate) why don't you either keep quiet or offer help?
Rather than going out of your way to criticise me, why don't you either keep quiet or offer help?

The OP can do whatever he likes. He can take advice if he chooses, ignore it if he chooses. It's not your place to say what he can or can not do.
Can you show me where I tried to tell him what he can or cannot do, other than correcting a misunderstanding of what the Building Regulations require?

And why shouldn't he be able to understand what the process involves. How would he know if the electrician was ripping him off, doing a poor job etc. unless he knows something about what to expect?
1) The level of detail in the questions, including confirmation of his design (not that proposed by an electrician), went beyond just wanting to understand the process.

2) If a registered professional electrician comes up with something different when he goes to the guy's house and actually sees what is involved, is he going to tell him to get lost because it doesn't fit with how he thinks it should be done based on his own ideas and a few answers from people who've not seen it?

Poor bloke comes here for a bit of advice and he gets an hysterical tirade from you.
Please quote from what I wrote above to justify the term "hysterical tirade".

Huff...puff..rant..delusional...rave....dear oh dear... :rolleyes:

As I said, I only want to understand what I need what work is required etc etc, I have no plans in doing the work but I'm not stupid enough to just except a quote. Doing a bit of homework to ensure I get what I'm paying for and not getting ripped off by some registered cowboy.

The wording of the post was NOT to imply I would be doing the work. And no I'm not taking the p***, just asking a few questions before bringing in the hired help.

:rolleyes:

Huff...puff..rant..delusional...rave....dear oh dear... :rolleyes:
Will you please do me, and the rest of the readers of this forum the courtesy of doing one of the following.

1) Show me where I wrote anything that could be described as ranting or raving.

2) Apologise for describing what I wrote as ranting and raving.

3) Stop, once and for all, this petty and childish vendetta of yours that drives you to mount personal attacks on me every time you disagree with an opinion of mine.

I read these forums a lot and take a lot of good advice from them.

But I feel I must respond to the reply BAS has given in this thread.

What makes you such an expert, judging by your own attempts of electrics which you posted pics of last week I fear you are the one in need of serious advice-exposed copper threads under crimps which were the incorrect size anyway not very competent hey??- oh and before you start "it's my opinion", to coin your favourite phase!!!!

What makes you such an expert, judging by your own attempts of electrics which you posted pics of last week I fear you are the one in need of serious advise-exposed copper threads under crimps which were the incorrect size anyway not very competent hey??- oh and before you start "it's my opinion", to coin your favourite phase!!!!
Can you please explain, rationally, logically and without introducing any ad-hominem fallacies why my ability to manipulate a crimping tool is of any relevance to the reply I gave to the OP?

If you wish to discuss the way I used those crimps please do so in the appropriate topic.

Please folks, don't fall out over this.

I came to this forum for advise and information, which LazyGit was kind enough to supply, which helps understand what is possible and what is not possible so that an informed conversation can be had when arranging for quotes from a number of electricians.

Again I emphasize that I have no intention of doing this work myself, just an understanding of what the option are. Size and types of cable that could be used, conduit requirements etc etc, it all adds to the cost and also to the requirement of types of data cabling and shielding that also may need to be factored into the overall costs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back