Position of built-in hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am making changes to my kitchen and want to install a new built-in ceramic hob in the worktop. The problem is that there's not much space to put it - the best place would mean that it would be centered over two different base units.

My question is, does it matter where the hob is positioned? Does the hob sit on top of the worktop or does it sit further down. In other words, is it a problem if the sides of two kitchen units are sitting directly below the hob?

Hope someone can help with this as I have been going round in circles trying to squeeze things into the kitchen and I really hope this works!

Sponsored Links
the only issue you have is minimum clearences required by the manufacturer from a combustible surface (ie the edges of the two units) it is easier to fit inside one unit but if you have to you can cut the edges of the two units to allow the hob to sit in place, i would suggest it might not look great as the hob will be "out of line" of the doors but needs must

Worktops come in different thicknesses which may or may not efect your hob, but you also need to consider the location with regards to existing sockets/switches & windows( for a gas hob), there are minimun distances that have to be adhered to when installing a hob.

Sponsored Links
My hob is over 2 base units.
As stated you can get different w/top thicknesses, you can also get hobs that are thin.
Just leave the space below the hob for airflow, mine is above the cutlery draw, never had problems.
(I also had a sink over 2 units)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back