Position of pump in sealed multizone CH system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In a sealed multizone CH system, does it matter whether the pump is between the pressure vessel and the boiler or whether the pressure vessel is between the pump and the boiler? (On the hot side in all cases)

I know it matters in an open vent system but not sure in a sealed system.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I did, it has boiler, then vessel, then pump (on the hot side) but unlike for for open vent systems the manual doesn't explicitly state that the order is important.

Thanks @cross thread. Could you explain why?
When the EV is installed on the inlet to the pump the pump discharge head will be the EV pressure + the pump head, a EV cold head of 1.0bar + a pump head of say 5M or 0.5bar will result in discharge head of 1.5bar. If the EV is installed on the pump discharge side then the inlet head will be the EV head - the pump head, 1.0bar - 0.5bar, or 5M, a system with very restrictive small bore pipework might tend to run at a negative head especially if the EV head was allowed to fall to say 0.5bar before recharging. Obviously its pretty vital to connect the cold feed, ~ 2.5 to 4M head, to the pump suction on a OV system otherwise, practically the whole system will be running at a negative head.

Last edited:
In my case the EV is also ~12M higher than the boiler and the pump so hopefully that helps keep the system pressurized..

So what I'm understanding from your last sentence is that the extra 1bar or so of pressure that the EV affords the system is why it's more critical in an open vent system to have the pump behind the tank whereas it might be OK in an EV system as long as the pressure is high enough in the EV?

Yes, not very critical in a sealed system as the EV is generally precharged at 0.7bar to 1.0bar with a cold filling pressure of 1.3bar to 1.5bar, i have a OV system with the pump pumping ito the oil fired boiler ground floor and a co. Ined vent and cold feed in the attic resulting in my sttic rad running with a vey very slight negative head but has never caosed a problem over the past 40 years or so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back