Positioning of velux frame/flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone just wanted to get some of your opinions on how I fit my velux windows.

This is for a EDP flashing kit ( plain tile )

Previous on here someone told me that the way to do it is to place the frame about 25mm up from the batten.
Having done this I found that I only have about 20mm coverage on the tile below the flashing which I don't really like.

So basically what I've done since is to place the frame on top of the battern and cut 25mm of the tiles under the flashing.
This approach gives me about 40mm coverage over the flashing and the flashing also runs in line with the tiles below

Hope this makes abit of sense :)

Sponsored Links
Previous on here someone told me that the way to do it is to place the frame about 25mm up from the batten.
Having done this I found that I only have about 20mm coverage on the tile below the flashing which I don't really like.

So basically what I've done since is to place the frame on top of the battern and cut 25mm of the tiles under the flashing.
This approach gives me about 40mm coverage over the flashing and the flashing also runs in line with the tiles below

Hope this makes abit of sense :)

The frame should not be on top of any of the battens except perhaps for marking out where to cut them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__zjmBCuSGI

http://www.above-it-all.co.uk/media/EDP_Installation.pdf

For a start, why are you asking questions about Velux installation? The instructions are explicit, fool-proof and even a child could follow them.

The Velux window (bottom) starter batten is fixed so that the top edge of that batten sits 80mm up from the top edge of the last course of tiles.

Everything else is worked out from that bottom starter batten

So, what you do is tile the roof up to a point where you want to set the bottom of the Velux. Measure up from the top edge of that last course of tiles then fix the bottom Velux batten.

We then jiggle the Velux (side to side) so that we try and avoid (if possible) any very small cuts.

The top batten is then set according to the length of the Velux window. The side battens are set to the width of the window with say +20mm to 30mm extra space up each side.

Sponsored Links
For a start, why are you asking questions about Velux installation? The instructions are explicit, fool-proof and even a child could follow them.

The Velux window (bottom) starter batten is fixed so that the top edge of that batten sits 80mm up from the top edge of the last course of tiles.

Everything else is worked out from that bottom starter batten

So, what you do is tile the roof up to a point where you want to set the bottom of the Velux. Measure up from the top edge of that last course of tiles then fix the bottom Velux batten.

We then jiggle the Velux (side to side) so that we try and avoid (if possible) any very small cuts.

The top batten is then set according to the length of the Velux window. The side battens are set to the width of the window with say +20mm to 30mm extra space up each side.

Thanks again noseall, yeh they are foolproof but oh well, needed info on it :)

Flashing for 49ers ( tiles ) I know you have to measure up 80mm etc so that a whole tile runs through. Edz flashing..

It was the edp flashing for plain tiles I wasn't 100% on where the frame should be placed, but blagard just posted that link and they've had to cut the bottom row of tiles in, so the flashing runs in line with the other tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back