Positioning smoke alarms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to install smoke detectors in my house. I assume they have to be in certain positions? or can they go anywhere on the ceiling? Where could I find some guidance?

Also, I was going to buy a wired system because I assume this would be cheaper than wireless?

Are wired generally considered better and cheaper?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
wired what?
Fire alarm, intruder alarm with added smoke detectors, or wired smoke detectors

Sponsored Links
Phone your local Fire Station (not 999) and they will come and fit as many as required for free and with 10 year batteries.
dave

i dont think thst is
A) True

B) what the OP wants

I think they will fit one if you qualify, i.e OAP etc

and also the OP wants wired smoke detectors

Yes I do want wired smoke detectors. As per my original text.

It would be good though if the fire brigade just turned up and fitted a full wired smoke detection system for free. I might try the Police next see if I can get myself kitted out with some cctv and burglar alarms, for free.

Just fooling, I do appreciate the help I get from this site - I don't know where I'd be without you. :D

youtekkinthepish, i know you like to try and wind people up, but it would help your own pathetic attemtps if you would read what is actually typed, not what you think is typed

Nope. Didn't actually state that.

yes he did

Carlnorwich said:
Wired smoke detectors.

which he started off by saying

Carlnorwich said:
Also, I was going to buy a wired system because I assume this would be cheaper than wireless?

so, youtekkinthepish, unless you want to get this locked with your pathetic bikering, i suggest you stop now. Arguing (or pathetic bickering in your case) in no way helps the OP. it just shows you for what you are

Get off your donkey!!!

The original post could be read in different ways. For example. It could be inferred that wireless was the preferred option, wired being a fall back due to cost. But then you you go all negative when wireless is mentioned don't you.

Your interpretation is not the only way.

I am going to install smoke detectors in my house. I assume they have to be in certain positions? or can they go anywhere on the ceiling? Where could I find some guidance?

Most come with information and guidance about where to locate them for earliest detection of smoke. A heat alarm in the kitchen is worth considering. A smoke alarm near a kitchen door will ( should ) give a few false alarms during normal cooking.

Prices vary with quality.

Having worked in radio communications design and development for 12 years, ( including fail safe systems and critical systems where failure could result in increased injury or death ) my experience is that provided you are content with the system working properly for maybe as much as 98% of the time then a well designed and well installed radio system could be acceptable to you and your needs.

youtekkinthepish, as i said that you would, you just like like to try and wind people up and offer nothig of any use accept feeble critisim.
It would seem that you got a warning from the mods.(could it be because you offer nothing to this topic?, yes, yes it is)

I merely read the post as the poster wrote it, (He mentioned wired first then radio, see for yourself) Unlike you, who seem to like to twist things round. up untill now i have never mentioned radio. You just can not accept the fact i do not think much to it.

youtekkinthepish, if you can not offer anything consructive to this topic, then please do not bother. Of the 3 posts you have made in this thread, none have been of any use to the OP, they all are your usual wind up stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back