Positioning washer-dryer power socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We need a new socket in the kitchen for a new washer-dryer. The electrician wants to put it inside the adjacent unit. Apart from the fact of having a plug socket next to plates and dishes in the unit, that'd require making a hole in the unit big enough for the plug to pass through should it be molded onto the cable. I wanted the socket screwed to the wall/skirting board behind the units but he reckons his is the correct and normal way to do it. Opinions please?

Sponsored Links
the best way is to have a FCU above worktop level supplying a socket beind the appliance

putting them in cupboards sucks because you lose cupboard space and you may have to dig though stuff stored in the cupboard to get at it

Yeah, I have to agree. I often find them mounted on the side of adjacent units, which is just as bad for access as at the back. Anyway, it's easier to install them behind the appliances they power and although it's ideal to have a switched fcu controlling an unswitched socket, a switched socket is acceptable.

And another thing - if the socket is mounted on the wall it's part of the house, rather than being part of the kitchen unit!

I'd have to disagree on this one. With a socket directly behind a washing machine, is there not a potential danger if the machine malfunctions or a hose comes loose, throwing water around? I feel safer knowing that mine is in the cupboard next to it.

Sponsored Links
I'd have to disagree on this one. With a socket directly behind a washing machine, is there not a potential danger if the machine malfunctions or a hose comes loose, throwing water around? I feel safer knowing that mine is in the cupboard next to it.

If you've got an up to date electrical installation you won't have any worries since the RCD will trip if you do get water coming out the back.

best to mount the socket fairly high up behind the appliance to mitigate that issue (when washers leak it tends to come out the bottom)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back