positive pressure boiler

thats great information thanks.wheres the best place to pick up a variety of seals? i tend to use some foam wrapped in silicone as a stop gap for small gaps in casing but would much prefer a delection of case seals.

i would stop that right now if i were you. using anything other than the correct manufacturer seal for that model of boiler is asking for an arse kicking. no doubt the lurking dodgers on here will disagree but its asking for trouble, particularly on positive pressure boilers. if the seal is buggered then AR or ID as appropiate, dont chance your freedom or a customers life.

just one more thing regarding these boilers. invariably the boiler is in the corner up against the wall or squeezed between two cupboards so you cant possibly test the sides of the boilers for leakage. thats really my point, u can test the corners but not the sides because some installer hasnt left sufficient clearences around the boiler

all you need to do is record the fact that you cant test it properly. as long as you have done everything you can possibly do to test its safety you have covered your arse.

Sponsored Links
ive never put silcone seal on positive press boilers just negative pressure other room sealed boilers as stop gap until new seal is ordered. i always ar , and if the householder wants to use it well thats up to them as long as ive told them of dangers. thanks again very informative.
yes fires. i dont install them . flueless fires, someone is having a laugh. basically there too much hassle to install, climbing up roofs looking at terminals, lining chimneys etc etc. ive not done that so i wont take the job up but i know plenty of guys who u would never want installing a fire doing it. is it really worth for a few hundred quid a job?? if your confident dont do it and thats what i stick to. ive seen fires down here where clearences too large so fumes not going up chimney( very common) fire s in bedrooms with no asd, all the time so have become very picky about which ones i carry out landlord checks on. thanks again for that.

There is a leakage tolerance allowed by the manufacturers as they always leak from the corners, we were always advised to stick a little silicone sealant on them if we felt it to be excessive ie blowing the match out.
I believe these boilers have now been condemned by hse, should come out in some sort of bulletin around now I guess.

There is a leakage tolerance allowed by the manufacturers as they always leak from the corners, we were always advised to stick a little silicone sealant on them if we felt it to be excessive ie blowing the match out.
I believe these boilers have now been condemned by hse, should come out in some sort of bulletin around now I guess.

the new issue is the rivets (or somesuch) on the backplate may be rusting. i reckon its then end for these old nails as i cant see many passing the inspection they will soon be subjected to.

Sponsored Links
They've been rusting through for years though. Quite often due to a leak from one of the back tappings.
Can't see them being "condemned" as such, there's no mechanism to do it.
There are millions of Profiles out there, but at least they have the decency to test whether the front cover's fitted and not work if it's not.

They've been rusting through for years though. Quite often due to a leak from one of the back tappings.
Can't see them being "condemned" as such, there's no mechanism to do it.
There are millions of Profiles out there, but at least they have the decency to test whether the front cover's fitted and not work if it's not.

i got a snippet of the HSE bulletin this week. theres something new that they are specifically looking at now. if its showing signs its chopped. its not the backplate but something attached to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back