Possible Asbestos exposure?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am still slightly baffled my self on this! Today where I work there is some partition walls, however am assuming Asbestos free as it was built in 1986? When AIB was banned. I tried to open the door, it was a bit stiff so I opened it second time round a bit harder! It opened, but i could see some fibers or dust and went up my nose. Where the door lockset is, I could see some paper like material with some fibres and in bit more in you could see the insulation material as it was a golden colour ( assuming fibreglass I hope!) If it was Asbestos, would I presumably be ok? Am worried sick about it. I really hope my mind could be put at rest here.

thanks
:eek:

Sponsored Links
the amount you may have inhaled will give you a less than 1% off any problems
then remember you nasal hairs and mucas lining the nose will further reduce the danger

White asbestos used mainly in corrugated roofing sheets, its considered harmless as it is encapsulated within cement or similar, brown or blue fluffy stuff, you're dead..

You seem to be continuing to get all sorts of material up your nose again and your slightly obsessive asbestos fixation is surfacing again.

Stop worrying about it and enjoy life (and try not to get anything else up your nose!)

//www.diynot.com/forums/general-diy/worried-about-artex-possible-asbestos-exposure.404723/

//www.diynot.com/forums/general-diy/whats-this-coming-off-artex-ceiling.386105/

//www.diynot.com/forums/building/1986-house-asbestos-garage-roof.380426/

//www.diynot.com/forums/building/would-a-1995-build-home-contain-asbestos.380404/

Sponsored Links
I agree with Newboy.

Wouldn't the best course of future action be to actually check what you are going to be smoshing, before actually smoshing it?

That is the Law, after all (reg. 5 of The Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012).

:)

Its not done intentionally! Hence why am worrying about it. Maybe its just regular dust rather than Asbestos, but still worried either way!
I think the dust must of came from the door handle area however, like i say am not sure whats in the lock area? looked like some kind of insulation and a paper like material in the lock.. Am only guessing Asbestos as it's behind a partition wall. Am assuming you can generally only get these diseases from regular exposure rather than a one off?

FFS! Honestly. If only people realised how much azzy is in the air at any one time.

It's amazing how quickly azzy can become a problem especially where culpability and claiming is concerned.

Blame + Claim = £££££
:rolleyes:

This is meant with respect - you do seem to paranoid about asbestos and your ability to ingest it.

1) You open a door and 'asbestos' goes up your nose
2) You look at your ceiling and 'asbestos' goes up you nose
3) You look at your kitchen light and 'asbestos' drops into your mouth
4) You are "phased" by asbestos in your grandfathers garage
5) You're "very concerned" about asbestos in your own home

Try to stop panicking about the damn stuff - I come across AIB, lagging asbestos cement etc. every week and spend less time worrying about that you seem to.

Stop worrying and enjoy life - you only get one go at it!

Thing is I only just opened a door! Then I get lots of dust going up my nose! Asbestos or not what effects will it have decades later?

I can say with 100% certainty that you'll die within the next 5-10 decades.

Is this serious or just trolling?

I dont understand the negativity of this! Surely, people could be a bit more concerned? Not sure how it's trolling! Am only asking would a one off exposure be serious? or only bad if its prolonged exposure. Please be nice ;)

So far it would appear from all your postings that you haven't been exposed to asbestos.

Thomas, worry ye not......I reckon all you have been in contact with is fibreglass insulation called Cosywrap, and a paper based sound insulating material that's similar to egg boxes......all very common in that decade. The name of that one escapes me.
No one is trying to say that asbestos isn't dangerous - that would be ridiculous - but the 'bad' stuff is the wool that pipes were wrapped with in the 60's and earlier. That was known as blue asbestos.
After that, the product was known as Asbestolux which was cemented, and the risks were much less. This was then discontinued and a silica rich material called Superlux came on the market......both of these were in sheet and pipe form.
John :)

This is meant with respect - you do seem to paranoid about asbestos and your ability to ingest it.

1) You open a door and 'asbestos' goes up your nose
2) You look at your ceiling and 'asbestos' goes up you nose
3) You look at your kitchen light and 'asbestos' drops into your mouth
4) You are "phased" by asbestos in your grandfathers garage
5) You're "very concerned" about asbestos in your own home

Try to stop panicking about the damn stuff - I come across AIB, lagging asbestos cement etc. every week and spend less time worrying about that you seem to.

I agree. Stop worrying.

But just in case, break off the filters from two cigarettes and stuff one up each nostril before opening any doors.

(Remember to breathe through your nose.)

Sponsored Links
Back